1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

$1 million grant for UC San Diego-led national effort to more deeply study tissue samples

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by Wyva, Mar 24, 2023.

1. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A $1 million grant from the Steven & Alexandra Cohen Foundation will launch a UC San Diego-led national effort to more deeply study tissue samples from patients with conditions ranging from long COVID-19 and relapsed Lyme disease to chronic fatigue syndrome

(...)

Dubbed the “Tissue Analysis Pipeline,” researchers hope the findings could lead to improved tissue-based diagnostics for patients. The Steven & Alexandra Cohen Foundation is the largest private funder of Lyme and tick-borne disease research, which includes more than $88 million in grants.

(...)

The Tissue Analysis Pipeline will be directed by scientists at UC San Diego and the J. Craig Venter Institute, with members from other institutions, including the Joint Genome Institute at Lawrence Berkeley National laboratory, the PolyBio Research Foundation, the Hormel Institute at University of Minnesota, Harvard Medical School and Mount Sinai South Nassau (NY).

Pipeline participants will collect tissue samples from clinicians and researchers working with patients afflicted with infection-associated chronic diseases, specifically Lyme, COVID, ME/CFS and Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, an group of inherited disorders that affect connective tissues, such as skin, joints and blood vessel walls, and can leave patients more vulnerable to chronic infections.

Full article: https://today.ucsd.edu/story/what-are-the-drivers-of-chronic-infectious-disease

obeat, Art Vandelay, Sean and 11 others like this.
  2. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What is their expertise in this area? Seriously.

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  3. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Founders:

Michael VanElzakker and Amy Proal

Lilas and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  4. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And what expertise does AP have other than publishing bogus papers on the Marshall protocol? MVE is a neurologist so has no expertise here.

5. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MVE is a neuroscientist.

6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I don't think that's accurate. AP has a PhD in something biomedical, and MVE is not a neurologist, he's a neuroscientist who has been researching brain stem imaging in ME, I think. Their Polybio foundation seems to have managed to get sizeable donations for research that they are getting other relevant scientists to do.

But I agree to the extent that their foundation is fairly new and seems to be getting itself involved in high places where others with wider experience and expertise might be expected to be.

We have several threads on their work, eg this one:

The brain tissue abnormality analysis, 2020, and other proposed studies, Polybio Research Foundation, van Elzakker, Proal, Fobes

7. Denise

Denise Senior Member (Voting Rights)

8. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What's relapsed Lyme disease?

30,000+ cases of Lyme disease per year? It's widely accepted it's at least ten fold that figure.

How odd.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2023
    Peter Trewhitt and alktipping like this.