1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

A molecular neurobiological approach to understanding the aetiology of CFS/ME/SEID and treatment implications. Paper by Monro & Puri

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by NelliePledge, Feb 7, 2018.

1. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is of no use to anyone I fear. It is such a great pity that the big publishing houses are happy to publish meaningless reviews of this sort just to make money. Those who do not know how the system works may reasonably think this is a scientific review. It is more like the Gang Nam style video that went viral for no particular reason other than it was catchy.

The really worrying thing is that people within the science community think this sort of stuff is real.

sea, Invisible Woman, Inara and 10 others like this.
  3. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Can we take advantage of this and publish meaningful reviews?

MEMarge, Inara and Amw66 like this.
  4. Londinium

Londinium Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I took a quick look at the Breakspear website, saw the bit where they start banging on about mercury in vaccines, and then ran away.

5. Valentijn

Valentijn Guest

Breakspear is a bit more focused on appealing to patients than most quack therapy establishments, but they still don't seem to know what the hell they're talking about when it comes to ME/CFS. A year or two ago they were recommending GET for all chronic fatigue patients in their newsletter, and I when I commented to them about it, they confirmed that it was meant to apply to ME/CFS as well.

They make sales pitches, they really don't seem to understand science.

6. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Why is that? How can I distinguish good from bad quality?

7. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I know Breakspear try and push expensive and extensive testing and many have spent thousands without gaining improvement.
    When we took our daughter there in Dec 2011 post GOSH, they did many relevant blood tests. They tested her ASO, ( Anti streptolysin titre) It was raised, indicating an ongoing strep infection. The antibiotics they prescribed to combat this was i/m penicillin for 6 weeks, twice weekly. These were mainly done at our locl GP surgery. Towards the end of the 6 weeks she started showing interest in her Maths Alevel, and cognition and stamina improved enough to learn and sit AS level Geography and AS Maths that MAY . We really thought she had recovered,She had certainly made huge improvements and got A grades for Geog and Maths at AS level

Indigophoton, Lidia, Trish and 4 others like this.