1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Application of normalisation process theory in understanding implementation processes in primary care settings in the UK: a systematic review - 2020

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Sly Saint, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://bmcfampract.biomedcentral.c...mpaign=BSCN_2_DD01_CN_bmcso_article_paid_XMOL

MEMarge, Invisible Woman and Andy like this.
  2. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

a fancy way to write about protocols new language doesn't change the fact that most if not all healthcare industry protocols are not actually based on addressing patients needs and have everything to do with costs . another paper written just so the authors can claim to have published .

MEMarge, rvallee and Invisible Woman like this.
  3. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wow. It took me a couple of goes to get my head around the title.

Words for the sake of words.

I can't be bothered.

I'll wait till a few more reviews have been done and then read the meta analysis on that thanks.

MEMarge likes this.
  4. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is so waffly/full of sociology blurb but the following sentence under the sub-heading "use and adaptation of NPT" (a couple of paras up from Table 5) made me want to shout out an expletive or 3.

"However, one paper suggests that focussing on the individual and collective agency of actors who are delivering the intervention risk neglecting the agency of those who receive the intervention – particularly at a patient or service user level [44]."

Also, under the heading:

"NPT as a facilitator of understanding" - ( just under Table 5 in Results section.)

"For example, Bayliss et al. reported that NPT revealed that owing to a large number of barriers the CFS/ME intervention was not feasible, and concluded that “time pressures and competing priorities meant that some GPs failed to engage with the training module (cognitive participation). When the module was completed, many GPs stated that it was not feasible to retain even the key messages as they saw so few patients with the condition” [32]."

Bayliss K, Riste L, Band R, Peters S, Wearden A, Lovell K, et al. Implementing resources to support the diagnosis and management of chronic fatigue syndrome/Myalgic encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME) in primary care: a qualitative study. BMC Fam Pract. 2016;17(1):66.

(The above paper is not a recommendation - numerous comments by GPs ....)

Hutan, Andy and Invisible Woman like this.