1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Article: Nature, "Robust research needs many lines of evidence", Marcus R. Munafò and George Davey Smith

Discussion in 'Research methodology news and research' started by Andy, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-01023-3

Can't remember if it was PACE or some other part of BPS research GDS supported, so I guess he's being ironic when he says "If a study is skewed and replications recapitulate that approach, findings will be consistently incorrect or biased.".

2. Valentijn

Valentijn Guest

He resigned from the Journal of Health Psychology in a huff when it published the PACE special edition. I suspect his current drive for good methodology is the usual two-faced bullshit we get from that sort of people ... they pay lip service to good science in the effort to make a name for themselves, but are happy to promote blatant pseudoscience when it's done by the "right" people.

I suspect that their promotion of good science is an attempt to cover up their own poor work, and their ongoing support of the poor work of others. Much like a compulsive liar yelling "fake news!" periodically, in an attempt to make himself look like the arbiter of truth :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like good sense, which makes it very strange that GDS supports the BPS 'research' - isn't he one of Crawley's big supporters, and didn't he criticise the JHP issue that reexamined PACE?

Crossposted with Valentijn

Simbindi, Mithriel, Barry and 7 others like this.
  4. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yeah, i'm done with these sorts of people. They say things because they make them sound and look good, while on the other hand making a complete mockery of the scientific process by their actual actions.

Simbindi, Barry, Allele and 6 others like this.
  5. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Simbindi, Hutan, TiredSam and 6 others like this.
  6. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Seems to me exactly the same problem as the Chalmers article on the other thread ('Evidence Based Medicine'). It makes one wonder whether this is sort of Lady MacBeth syndrome:
    'out damned spot'.

Mithriel, Barry, Allele and 7 others like this.
  7. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The idea of triangulation is quite sensible though - just common sense, but there does not seem to be much of that around these days.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    Simbindi, Amw66, Barry and 3 others like this.
  8. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Woolie likes this.
  9. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Years ago, an official report on CFS (ME/CFS it would be now) that paved the way to the PACE trial etc said that it was a new type of disease in that it was not a psychological disease or a physical disease but occupied a strange position in between.

At the time I felt that such an extraordinary claim should have very robust evidence to back it up.

Snow Leopard, Sean, Woolie and 5 others like this.