1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Article : What’s the Difference Between Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and Connective Tissue Disorders' started by boolybooly, Jan 13, 2022.

1. boolybooly

boolybooly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am not impressed by this. I dont consider ME is a central sensitization condition and I think it is used as a way to dismiss the condition and its underlying causes in the same way BPS was.

I replied to the feedback box citing my reason as inaccuracy. Warning: clicking the reason type sends the feedback so enter any text before that.

I wrote as follows.

shak8, Sean, Milo and 7 others like this.
  2. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've read this article too and it also recommend treatments such as GET, yoga, hypnotherapy, improving sleep habits, mindfulness etc. I wasn't impressed at all either, so good job giving feedback, @boolybooly

3. boolybooly

Thanks @Wyva , just having my afternoon rant !

The author is citing CDC as a source. I have not been able to find anything on the CDC website saying that ME is due to central sensitization. Am I missing something?

If the CDC is saying it is central sensitization I think we should be looking seriously at this and its implications.

https://www.cdc.gov/me-cfs/about/possible-causes.html

Milo, DokaGirl, Michelle and 3 others like this.
  4. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Maybe ask the author to provide their specific reference by CDC to central sensitisation it could be given the article is supposedly only based on the short list of sources at the end yet it mentions GET which CDC has removed. It seems likely that the article was originally written based on previous CDC content but has not been subject to a thorough review based on current version.

eta added missing words - it seems likely

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
  5. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The author is a patient (not sure which predominantly) and has been writing for at least 10 years. She is not necessarily accurate and may use her personal opinion rather than hard science.

6. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is a marketing magazine for private health care as far as I can see - not an academic article.

alktipping, CRG, FMMM1 and 3 others like this.
  7. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member (Voting Rights)

the authors name is familiar. She has been writing these for years on various internet sites. Wish she would stop.

Peter Trewhitt and boolybooly like this.
  8. boolybooly

If she is a patient then I am sorry for her difficulty but invoking central sensitization is an own goal imho and I have seen no evidence for this in ME nor does my own experience suggest it.

There is sensory hypersensitivity due to neurological changes which causes hyperacusis and sensitivity to light and odour for many patients myself included but as I understand it, correct me if I am wrong anyone, these are not equivalent to central sensitization which is specifically about pain reception which is not what is going on in ME which is a different class of neurological phenomenon.

9. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is the problem that increasingly research is being undertaken on the basis of questionnaires devised to supposedly show the presence of central sensitivity, then claiming that it exists in various conditions on the evidence of these questionnaires without ever attempting any independent verification of them or acknowledging that the questions used were chosen because they relate to the symptoms of conditions that had previously been assumed to reflect central sensitivity without any evidence?

So some people believe that there are a range of disorders that involve central sensitivity and that there is evidence indicating certain syndromes such as ME are the result of central sensitivity. However this is based on totally circular logic: ie based on the belief that ME involves central sensitisation, the presence of ME symptoms becomes proof that ME is the result of central sensitisation.

Sean, Michelle, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  10. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had, and still occasionally have, what seems to be neuropathic pains due to my ME. I consider that a symptom of ME that some but not all PWME have. I certainly don't believe that neuropathic pain is the cause of ME. Besides, I don't think they understand central sensitization either, so relabelling ME by some other meaningless name doesn't offer useful options for diagnosis or treatment. It sounds like it would only benefit some useless psychologists or psychiatrists and medical system administrators.

Sean, Michelle, alktipping and 2 others like this.
  11. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

12. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I saw it too, but at least some parts of the article have been corrected. Not the central sensitization part, but now there is an explanation added that says CBT and GET are outdated. (Although I had to admit there are still some issues even with that explanation.)

13. DigitalDrifter

DigitalDrifter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

boolybooly and Peter Trewhitt like this.