1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Asthenic disorders as a manifestation of chronic fatigue syndrome, 2021, Putilina

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Andy, Sep 7, 2021.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

The article explains the changes in terminology and diagnostic criteria for asthenic disorders as manifestations of chronic fatigue syndrome CFS (myalgic encephalomyelitis). Chronic fatigue syndrome is defined as neuroimmune endocrine dysfunction with a purely clinical diagnosis. Probably, viral infections can play a leading role in the pathogenesis. Published diagnostic criteria reveal possible correlations between chronic fatigue syndrome and COVID-19 disease. A promising strategy for the therapy and rehabilitation of patients is the use of smart peptides, a representative of which is the drug cortexin.

Abstract in English at https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34481448/

Paywalled paper in Russian, https://www.mediasphera.ru/issues/z...i-im-s-s-korsakova/2021/8/1199772982021081125

2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Cortexin?

from
    Neuroprotective action of Cortexin, Cerebrolysin and Actovegin in acute or chronic brain ischemia in rats
    It seems to have neuroprotective action with an ability to cross the blood brain barrier.

3. Hutan

The producer of Cortexin is Geropharm

4. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

For those who don't know what asthenic means (i.e. people like me)...

Source : https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/asthenic

Definition of asthenic

1 : of, relating to, or exhibiting asthenia : weak

Synonyms

Another definition :

asthenic
    (ăs-thĕn′ĭk)
    adj.
    1. Relating to or exhibiting asthenia; weak.
    2. Having a slender, lightly muscled physique.
    n.
    A person having such a physique.
    The American Heritage® Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2007, 2004 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I had to look that up too. Here's what google tells me:

Aesthenic
    a personality type characterised by low energy level, easy fatigability, incapacity for enjoyment, lack of enthusiasm, and oversensitivity to physical and emotional stress. When appearing in marked form it becomes a psychological disorder (asthenic personality disorder), also called dependent personality

Michelle, geminiqry, shak8 and 7 others like this.
  6. Hutan

Interesting definitions, especially Trish's one. Before seeing those, I had wondered if asthenia might be a useful term for describing a symptom of ME/CFS, as the definitions I had seen focused on the easy fatiguability, and the larger than normal effort required to move.

Of course it's part of the name 'myasthenia gravis'. But also 'neurasthenia', a synonym for CFS (with one definition noted as 'dated' being "an ill-defined medical condition characterized by lassitude, fatigue, headache, and irritability, associated chiefly with emotional disturbance").

It seems that psychology has co-opted yet another neutral word, burdening it with implications of a personality disorder.

In the case of the paper that is the subject of this thread, based on the abstract, I don't think asthenia was meant to imply anything beyond its physical meaning.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
  7. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I really don't consider 'aesthenic disorders' as being a superior term than 'central fatigue'. Central fatigue isn't well-defined, but at least it has some definition.

How about we stop trying to rename things that we can't clearly define? If we manage to find a clinical cause of this fatigue-like feeling, such as a specific pattern of cytokines or glial cell abnormalities, then we can come up with a good term for it.

8. Hutan

I suspect the use of 'asthenic disorders' in this paper is mainly a result of the translation of the original from Russian.

CRG, Michelle, MeSci and 7 others like this.