1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Attentional processing and interpretative bias in functional neurological disorder, 2020, Moss-Morris, Chalder et al

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Andy, Jun 17, 2020.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

BPS crew in shock "ill people pay attention to their symptoms, while healthy people don't pay attention to symptoms they don't have" insight.
    Paywall, https://journals.lww.com/psychosoma...cessing_and_interpretative_bias_in.98525.aspx
    Sci hub, not available at time of posting

@dave30th , one for you I reckon.

2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Oh ***, when will this ******* nightmare end.

I was just going to add a comment to @dave30th's excellent article linking the awful research that the unethical ******* idiots, Chalder and Moss-Morris, have spent the last 30 years inflicting on us, and now they come up with this ****

I feel like we're drowning.

MEMarge, Squeezy, Hutan and 13 others like this.
  3. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If someone has a medically poorly understood condition aren’t they going to focus on symptoms to try to understand more about their condition.

If my roof has a intermittent leak that the builder can not explain I am going to focus on my roof until I work out what is wrong with it so I can get it properly repaired. Personally I would regard that as a sensible course of action, not ‘attentional control deficit’ or ‘somatic interpretative bias’. Do these BPS proponents seek out CBT if they have one of those annoying intermittent faults in their car that never shows up when they take it to the garage?

4. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They should have had a control group with a demonstrable disease such as type 1 diabetes or cancer. I know that in type 1 diabetes you are automatically aware of your bodily sensations so you get an early warning of hypo or hyperglycaemia. Idiotic research where lack of the proper controls make it all worthless.

When I read the latest trial by error report I felt crushed by the sheer relentlessness of it all. It made me wonder how dave30th could carry on doing this, but I am so glad he does.

Galadriel in the Lord of the Rings talks about "fighting the long defeat" and that's how I feel. They have the money and the energy to talk over us all the time.

5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This argument is right in line with only minorities think about racism, or poor people think too much about being poor and that's why they're poor.

Why would someone who is not sick think about symptoms? That makes no sense. Literally the only possible explanation is that the symptoms are real. Anything else is absurd.

This argument is a logical fallacy, sophistry-based medicine.
    THAT'S LITERALLY THE BASIS OF THE DAMN BPS MODEL OF ME IT'S BEEN USED IN PRACTICE FOR DECADES while simultaneously admitting there is no basis for it other than "may prove". This is complete madness. They are both in total control of millions of lives while still trying to make up even a hint of evidence for anything.

6. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

The title blatantly gives it away

interpretive bias

oh Yes indeed that’s what you and your cronies whole ethos is based on - your own interpretive bias

MEMarge, Squeezy, Andy and 7 others like this.
  7. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This Chalder person publishes a lot. Does Kings College pay her on a per word basis? To me, this would be the only motivation for them/her publishing all these words.

2kidswithME, MEMarge, Squeezy and 8 others like this.
  8. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Yep their research is like getting a homebuyers report on a property you’re looking to buy it’s 95% generic with a few words changed every time to “tailor” it.

MEMarge, Squeezy, obeat and 9 others like this.
  9. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Invisible Woman, Trish and Andy like this.
  10. Gaspard

Gaspard Established Member

When you find you can no longer rely on your body and your wits, it's a life-altering realisation. My trust in my body and mind was shattered, of course I have a bias focusing on the crazy shit my body was doing (or not doing).

MEMarge, Sean, ukxmrv and 5 others like this.