1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Australia: The Royal Australasian College of Physicians - Join the Medically Unexplained Symptoms Reference Group Feb 2020

Discussion in 'Advocacy Action Alerts' started by Sly Saint, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"Join the Medically Unexplained Symptoms Reference Group
    Date published: Feb 6, 2020, 18:45 PM
    Summary
    Contribute to producing a set of guiding principles on the clinical management of Medically Unexplained Symptoms (MUS).
    Description
    The following positions are available:

• 1x AFOEM Group Chair
    • 1x neurologist member
    • 1x gastroenterologist member
    • 1x RACP/RANZCP Fellow member
    • 1x AFOEM member
    The Group will:

• review relevant documents
    • produce a set of guiding principles on the clinical management of patients with MUS aimed at RACP members (both Fellows and trainees) across all specialties and the broader medical community including GPs
    • develop a consultation strategy for internal and external stakeholders
    • develop a communications strategy to raise awareness of these guiding principles amongst RACP members and external stakeholders
    The review will take approximately 12-months to complete.

Read the terms of reference and scope of work before applying.

Apply
    To apply, submit an expression of interest form and your CV to afoem@racp.edu.au

Creation Date:
    Feb 6, 2020, 17:00 PM
    Closing Date:
    Feb 21, 2020, 17:00 PM"

https://www.racp.edu.au/expressions-of-interest/medically-unexplained-symptoms-reference-group

Worrying development that the MUS bandwagon is spreading.

2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

@Simone , in case you aren't aware.

Hutan, Simone, Esther12 and 2 others like this.
  3. Dx Revision Watch

Dx Revision Watch Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Like trying to hold back the tide...

Hutan, alktipping, RuthT and 5 others like this.
  4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's a mixed blessing. If it spreads faster it will crash harder and more visibly. Psychosomatic ideologies used to be more exclusive, focusing on the most vulnerable patients, who cannot and do not mount much of an opposition. It's a different matter when those ideologies are extended to literally hundreds of millions of people, most of whom are not disabled.

It will also obliterate public trust in medical expertise but I guess that's not something they are considering. Maybe that will force the much-needed reform to have medicine take chronic health problems seriously and competently. Truly the post-truth era.

Arnie Pye and alktipping like this.
  5. large donner

large donner Guest

I really think this is why the BPS crowd don't care about how people are pointing out their nonsense over ME.

For all they care ME can be declared proven organic tomorrow, they just wont use the label anymore and will just tell everyone they have MUS.

They went from ME to "CFS" and now onto the label MUS, so they get to start the same old shit over again and cast an even bigger net making it impossible to escape.

They want a no exclusions label that can be made by pronouncement upon first sight of any patient.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    pteropus, chrisb, Hutan and 5 others like this.
  6. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@RoseE

Hutan, RoseE and Andy like this.
  7. Lidia

Lidia Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That it is AFOEM-led is concerning. There are some AFOEM members who will be champing at the bit to chair this group. One person I’m thinking of has a busy and lucrative career denying insurance claims using the BPS paradigm, having also established clinics to maximise the coverage.

Hutan, Simone, Sean and 2 others like this.
  8. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

just when did the medical world discover everything about the human body and how is it possible for any individual doctor to discount all that as yet unknown knowledge . hubris is the greatest sin of supposedly intelligent people . I will just say again 36% of all diagnoses are wrong such low standards should not be allowed . in any other industry it would lead to bankruptcy . perhaps in some parts of the medical profession ethical bankruptcy is the norm .

chrisb, Hutan, Sean and 2 others like this.
  9. Simone

Simone Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks, @Andy. No I wasn’t. It never ends, eh? :(

Andy and Hutan like this.
  10. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Good luck with that!

unnamed.gif

alktipping and Andy like this.