1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

BABCP Band 'Bedlam' (featuring Trudie Chalder) gig

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Sly Saint, Apr 25, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I thought this must be a joke but.................

upload_2018-4-25_16-45-39.jpeg

"27 Mar 2018 - BEDLAM are a 14-piece band with several members from the BABCP (including David Veale, Trudie Chalder and Helen Macdonald). They will be joined by a guest star Zeeteah Messiah singing on a couple of numbers. They will be playing on the evening of Thursday 12th April at the The Water Rats, 328 Gray's Inn Rd"

Can't give a link as it came up when doing a search and subsequently couldn't find it on the site
    www.babcp.com/Training/Conferences.aspx

http://www.babcp.com/Default.aspx

:jawdrop:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  2. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is it just me or is choosing the name "Bedlam" in extraordinarily poor taste?

Sarah94, ukxmrv, Lisa108 and 17 others like this.
  3. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Perhaps they did not hear of the Muppets.

Barry, ukxmrv, MEMarge and 9 others like this.
  4. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wish I could commit to singing in a band, or anything. I am not reliable because of this vile illness.

5. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's fine for them. It's only if you're an ME patient criticising Chalder's work that every possible opportunity will be taken to try to portray you as stigmatising mental health problems.

Sarah94, Barry, Hutan and 13 others like this.
  6. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

as some once said "the lunatics are running the asylum" shame the lot of them didn't stick to a musical career the world would be better of.

MEMarge, Joh, adambeyoncelowe and 2 others like this.
  7. Sly Saint

At first I thought this might be Simon Wesselys stage name, but no

"Zeeteah Silveta Massiah is a Barbadian-born British singer particularly associated with reggae, jazz and house music. In a wide-ranging career she has recorded and/or toured with artists including Robbie Williams, Tom Jones, Michael Jackson, Phil Collins, Sting, Leo Sayer, and Michael Bolton."

and now with Trudie Chalder.

MEMarge, Hutan, Joh and 4 others like this.
  8. Sly Saint

I've found a few more references; Bedlam appear to perform quite regularly at the BABCP conferences:

http://babcpconference.com/spring_2018/index_spring_2018.htm

https://twitter.com/user/status/962734220023160832

Prof David Veale · @drdavidveale. Professor David Veale is a Consultant Psychiatrist in CBT at The Maudsley & Institute of Psychiatry, London and the Priory Hospital North London.

from last year

"The Rebellion Evening (not to be missed)

Join us at Rebellion (next to Deansgate at 2B Whitworth St, West Manchester M1 5WZ) and come and hear Bedlam - a 15-piece band of which half are BABCP members! They will rock you with one set of disco covers and one set of rock/ blues/soul from the 60-70s. When the band isn’t playing the disco will keep you dancing. If you want to eat before you join us there are plenty of restaurants in the Deansgate areas for you to enjoy.

Doors open at 8.30pm. On stage at 9.00pm. Featuring David Veale, Trudie Chalder and Simon Darnley from BABCP."

glad to see they are all enjoying themselves:sick:

MEMarge, EzzieD, Joh and 3 others like this.
  9. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Perhaps it is all a coded message to indicate the view of insiders that psychiatry has not progressed beyond the middle ages.

ukxmrv, MEMarge, Joh and 4 others like this.
  10. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Holy Jesus. That's every bourgeois, poseur nightmare I've ever had rolled into one. Like your worst uncle and your worst uni lecturer teaming up to cover Genesis with a ukulele and sitar.

11. Sly Saint

Maybe next year someone could film them performing then ask them if they wouldn't mind watching the video and answering a few questions?

Lisa108, ukxmrv, MEMarge and 13 others like this.
  12. Sly Saint

It might actually be appropriate in 'their' case:
    "England's first hospital for the mentally ill. With its somewhat scandalous history it came to represent all institutions of its kind in the public imagination."
    "Those who became patients were usually the poor and marginalised"
    "The hospital regime was a mixture of punishment and religious devotion - chains, manacles, locks and stocks appear in the hospital inventory from this time. The shock of corporal punishment was believed to cure some conditions, while isolation was thought to help a person 'come to their senses'."
    "
    The image of 'Bedlam':
    has long been associated with scandal and abuse in the public mind".

not a lot has changed then...........(apart from the chains and manacles)

ladycatlover, MEMarge, Hutan and 8 others like this.
  13. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That is exactly why I thought it in such poor taste. How can anybody, let alone people who are supposed to have an understanding of and treat mental health conditions, think that is in any way clever or amusing?

Those poor souls suffered dreadfully. Then they were tortured and abused by way of treatment. There is absolutely nothing humorous or clever about it.

Imagine the outcry if the reference was to discrimination and abuse of an ethnic or some other minority group? People would be justifiably angry.

That they think this is clever or amusing just demonstrates the lack of respect for psych patients past and present. This lot are supposed to help some of the most vulnerable in our society not mock them.

ukxmrv, MEMarge, Robert 1973 and 10 others like this.
  14. Sly Saint

bit like a bunch of human rights lawyers starting a band and calling it 'Guantanamo' (?)

ladycatlover, MEMarge, EzzieD and 6 others like this.
  15. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

thanks for the laughs actually out loud .my neighbours must think I'm nuts.

16. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

I know they are openly promoting their connection to the mental health profession.

But, to be honest, I am not sure this is a wise thread. Too easy to be portrayed as being anti-genuine mental health issues.

MEMarge and petrichor like this.
  17. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I completely disagree. It's justified to ask why a bunch of supposedly compassionate psychs have called their wank-rock band Bedlam. It reveals rather a lot about their unprofessional attitudes.

ladycatlover, ukxmrv, MEMarge and 7 others like this.
  18. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

So what message is that sending to the CBT “practitioner“ community that these CBT “academics” lord it over in this self created professional accreditation body. This is like a big scale BACME isn’t it. Gives the BPS mafia control over the minions who have to inflict their ideas on patients.

Bedlam seems about right as it is now used to mean a chaotic situation

19. Sly Saint

December 13, 2018

Thursday 7:00 PM

The Water Rats
    328 Grays Inn Road
    City of London, Westminster WC1X 8BZ

Bedlam2018
    We're back at the Water Rats with a Christmas Party! We have refreshed with new songs. A few new faces Tenor Sax 1 and Director - Andrew Woolf Tenor Sax 2 - Helen MacDonald Tenor Sax 3 or Baritone - David Veale Alto Sax 1 & Bongos - Patrick Carpenter Alto Sax 2 - Trudie Chalder Trombone and vocals - James Ware Trumpet 1 – Pete Wing Trumpet 2 - Andy Orszynski Drums – Chris Childs Bass and vocals – Chris Broyd Guitar 1 and vocals – Alex Green Guitar 2 - James Taylor Keyboards – Steve Caplin Vocals – Ally Keyes Vocals – Rosie Miles Harmonica and vocals – Dheeresh Turnbull

Event details at eventbrite.com!

suggestions as to what the new songs might be?

upload_2018-10-31_16-0-15.jpeg
    http://www.melodylane.net/whitestar.html

20. Lisa108

Lisa108 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We could buy all the tickets and not show up...

ukxmrv, ladycatlover, EzzieD and 3 others like this.