1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV)

Discussion in 'Neurological/cognitive/vision' started by Sly Saint, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Am posting this because it is apparently a common and treatable condition that might be 'overlooked' in an ME patient.
    https://vestibular.org/understandin...isorders/benign-paroxysmal-positional-vertigo

NHS info
    http://www.uhs.nhs.uk/Media/Control...ysmalpositionalvertigo-patientinformation.pdf

Mij, hinterland, fossil and 2 others like this.
  2. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

interesting that it is associated with the elderly - my daughter is a teenager and this sounds familiar.
    Recent optician visit compared her optic nerve photo ( loss of definition around edge of nerve ) to being something more associated with those 40+ years old.
    I wonder if any other " elderly" research would also have relevence?

3. obeat

obeat Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Shortened telomeres?

4. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was diagnosed with this 28 years ago- day one of ME onset. Began with a sudden viral onset.

Sly Saint likes this.
  5. BruceInOz

BruceInOz Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I first had this strike out of the blue this time last year. I've had ME for 25 years and am in my late 50's.

It was not a pleasant experience. The first episode was pretty bad, to the point where I called for an ambulance since I had no idea what it was and couldn't walk to the car so someone could drive me to the emergency department.

Over the past year there have been long periods when I've hardly noticed it and times where it is more obtrusive, when things like rolling over in bed brings on dizziness that lasts for ten or twenty seconds. On one occasion it was bad enough to keep me in bed for a day.

There are exercises to help move the little bits of calcium that do seem to help. Overall it's just a mild inconvenience of growing older. Not at all in the same league as ME.

Annamaria, Sly Saint and NelliePledge like this.