1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Book: A Still Life: A Memoir, 2021, Josie George

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Jonathan Edwards, Feb 6, 2021.

1. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

She's written a book:
    • A Still Life: A Memoir by Josie George is published by Bloomsbury on 18 February.

dangermouse, MEMarge, Anna H and 17 others like this.
  3. Helene

Helene Senior Member (Voting Rights)

dangermouse, Hutan, MEMarge and 14 others like this.
  4. Andy

Andy Committee Member

5. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sorry, something of a red herring.

We have been having gloriously sunny weather here the last few days and yesterday I went out for the first time in six months to get the first injection of the AstraZenica (Oxford) vaccine, it was sheer joy and I began to realise (if we don’t make a big mess of things again here in England) we hopefully will see an end to lockdown some time this summer.

The government having foolishly allowed people to fantasise that everyone of our Covid restrictions will be over by the summer solstice, all over British TV and social media the reaction is euphoria. My Facebook post of just two lines saying I had had the vaccine is my most ‘liked’ post ever.

Of course today is pay back, not sure how much is reaction to the vaccine and how much just to the inherent exertion, but I suddenly realised whatever happens this summer, any eventual ending of Covid restrictions will not make a big difference to me. Though happy for those that do regain their ‘freedom’, it will also be hard to be presented with continuous evidence of everyone else’s life returning to normal.

Further because I have reestablished contact with lots of old friends who have been spending more time on social media, will I have to start all over again refusing well intentioned invites and rationing would be visitors for the first few months.

Hutan, Missense, merylg and 16 others like this.
  6. Andy

Andy Committee Member

#MillionsMissing Book Review: A Still Life

"Today is #MillionsMissing, a day to raise awareness and make people with ME visible to the world. As part of the event, people with ME are sharing their stories on social media but instead of sharing mine I’m going to tell you about someone else’s story.

Josie George published her memoir A Still Life earlier this year. I’ve followed Josie’s writing in various forms for years, and she is extraordinarily gifted. In the book, Josie tells the story of her life as a disabled woman and the ways her illness has shaped and defined her. But this is not a typical illness memoir, in part because Josie is not a typical writer (if that even exists). A Still Life is both vulnerable and strong, and so beautiful that it took my breath away. #MillionsMissing is about being visible, and Josie’s book is a gorgeous contribution to that goal."

http://occupyme.net/2021/05/12/millionsmissing-book-review-a-still-life/

dangermouse, Hutan, MEMarge and 6 others like this.
  7. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I posted part of Jennie Spotila's review of Josie's book (above) on my fb page today for #milliondmissing. Also some of Josie's words. They are so beautiful and descriptive. I had to check I'd posted them: I knew I meant to. I did but the pain and fog are bad today. Thanks for posting them @Andy.

I know it will be unlikely to get likes but I refuse to believe that speaking truth fails entirely.

Last edited: May 12, 2021
    Hutan, MEMarge, Shinygleamy and 4 others like this.
  8. Helene

Helene Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'd love to read this. Has anyone found it available in Canada or the US? Shipping from the UK tends to be a bit steep.

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  9. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Mithriel, Helene, Mariaba and 6 others like this.