1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

BPS attempts at psychologizing Long Covid

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by rvallee, Jul 22, 2020.

1. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There have been references to William Sargant. It is unclear how reliable his writings were. Apparently when he retired in 1972 he took with him, and destroyed, all his patients' records. It may be entirely coincidental that that was the year Dulles (EDIT I wrote Dulles, but meant Helms) and Gottlieb are said to have destroyed their files relating to MK Ultra.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
    Hutan, Wonko, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  2. Mike Dean

Mike Dean Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Sargant
    "His ambition to be a physician was thwarted by a disastrous piece of research and a nervous breakdown, after which he turned his attention to psychiatry."
    Says it all, really.

MEMarge, ukxmrv, sebaaa and 5 others like this.
  3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I guess they will be very puzzled by the plurality, if not majority, of patients who will tell them that they don't have chronic fatigue. Or will they select only for people with fatigue, essentially ignoring all other symptoms. Which would make it a "study" strictly on fatigue and nothing else, which has been done many times before and is thus entirely pointless. Much confusion will be had over the difference between fatigue and PEM, which they have absolutely no clue about.

Are they generically "studying" fatigue and thus exclude most patients (since despite being the most common symptom, it is not by much), meaning this has little to do with post-Covid, or are they strictly studying fatigue in Covid, which again would be puzzling since too many do not report significant fatigue, but rather PEM. But one thing for sure they can't be "studying" post-Covid itself since by focusing on fatigue and nothing else by definition they miss most of the illness. So at best it's a subset, one that will tell us nothing but keeps quacks employed, I guess.

It's very foolish for them to expose their incompetence this way but at least it will backfire spectacularly. This stuff has dominated only because no one else had funding to do anything else so at least they will be a minor side-show attraction at best, most likely a laughing stock if it gets enough visibility in the Long Covid community.

Wonko, Shinygleamy, sebaaa and 7 others like this.
  4. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wondered why this didn't happen after the Dubbo studies. there was obviously much more to learn. I'm also curious if there are any other pre-existing cohort studies like Jason's that are being repurposed for coronavirus and post-Covid symptoms. I wrote about Jason's study here: https://www.statnews.com/2020/09/11/persistent-symptoms-after-covid19-hard-to-study/

Wonko, Michelle, Chezboo and 9 others like this.
  5. boolybooly

boolybooly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My guess would be study funding politics where post infectious CFS loses out to headline grabbers. But longcovid is a headline grabber so maybe its our chance to catch the wave.

Wonko, obeat, Sean and 5 others like this.
  6. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

7. Andy

Andy Committee Member

There is a great response to it in the comments below the blog.
    http://disq.us/p/2cg1ef7

inox, Hutan, Wonko and 21 others like this.
  8. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for highlighting the response @Andy

well done ‘Peter White’ whoever you are excellent reply to Minna Johansson’s rose tinted view.

Wonko, andypants, ukxmrv and 5 others like this.
  9. rvallee

Sleepless Nights, Hair Loss And Cracked Teeth: Pandemic Stress Takes Its Toll

https://www.npr.org/sections/health...-cracked-teeth-pandemic-stress-takes-its-toll

I love that people claim magical powers like "knowing" that someone did not have Covid. Why don't we just skip the whole testing infrastructure and just use their superior magical powers? It's certainly not as if we know that the tests are unreliable and that many are asymptomatic or have so little symptoms they didn't think much of it. Oh, we do know that? Wow, this is awkward.
    Yes, this nonsense is literally built on us and it's kind of twisted to use it on a similar problem that this nonsense was built on but holy crap does commitment escalate when it has to.
    It's not as if medical services had been interrupted during that time and still have not resumed to normal. No, must be a completely different thing happening. What about the influence of Jupiter, though? Can you prove it does not play a significant role? Must be it, then.
    That's what happens when data are not properly recorded simply because people don't know to ask relevant questions. Hair loss has been very significant with Covid, including those with a positive test, hence absolutely no reason to bring "stress" in here, something that can't be tested for and is very often confused.
    That too. I saw lots of reports of abnormal menstruations from patients, still haven't seen any acknowledgement or recording of this relevant piece of data. You can't count when you don't know what questions to ask.
    And yet lots of people who dismissed the pandemic got Long Covid. It's very easy to falsify these claims yet no one bothers because they want this answer to be true, they don't even want to risk falsifying it.
    I love that this paragraph follows a previous paragraph that said "this is not in their head" and yet here they are saying it. When you make all the claims you can claim 100% accuracy if you don't care to check and simply assume you're always right.

10. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Another point on this quote:

That catalogue of research never sets out to prove that stress causes physical symptoms although it's always stated that way. the research inevitably presents a correlation. And then presumes stress as causative.

Stress is just an ordinary part of life. We struggle when things get difficult and we are stressed. Increased stress is not some action that comes at us out of the blue. When our body is physically stressed we also become psychologically stressed as we try to cope. That would be the body influencing the mind.

11. rvallee

Just for funsies and because it's still pretty relevant despite being silly: the article was posted on the /r/CovidLongHaulers sub-reddit. Did not impress much, as expected. No comments, no up-votes. Nobody cares about this dumb MUS woo.

Of course since the ideology is self-reinforcing this changes nothing, rejecting psychological processes is consistent with the belief system: heads they win, tails they win, no toss they win. The one thing that BPS fanatics truly can't wrap their heads around: that they have nothing of value to offer and this is why people don't think much of their crap.

It especially falls flat after lots of gaslighting. Weird how people don't like it when their life is ruined by made-up stuff. So weird. I'd say someone ought to research that but clinical psychology is not capable of introspection so it would probably end up with the conclusion that it reinforces the BPS model, somehow.

Shinygleamy, ukxmrv, Wonko and 8 others like this.
  12. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Until MUS starts getting shoved down their throats. These people have no idea what is coming.

13. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Title : 'Long COVID' may affect multiple parts of body and mind, doctors say

Link : https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-h...ts-of-body-and-mind-doctors-say-idUKKBN26Z3AB

Author : Kate Kelland [A cheerleader for BPS if I remember correctly? Edit : And a cheerleader for the SMC too.]

Note paragraph 2 - my emphasis:

Note paragraph 3 - my emphasis:

Note final paragraph - my emphasis:
    So, in one short article Long Covid has gone from being a physiological problem to being a psychological and social one.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  14. Leila

Leila Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder how in 1 or 2 yrs things will be like amongst pwLC:

If there will be a divide between the ones that have detectable organ damage that either really does explain their symptoms or at least gives them some proof to health care providers, family, employers etc.

And then the ones without organ damage that will be sent away by everyone with their MUS.

Like splitting survivors in 1st and 2nd class categories.

I think it'll depend on how the health care system will address LC in the near future and how much space the BPS approach will be given.

15. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Long covid hasn't been mentioned much in Norwegian media, but today the local newspaper Fædrelandsvennen has an article about two hospitals wanting to look closer at patients "that feel they don't get completely well again after having had covid-19".

The plan is to test and map more than 1 000 participants on a regular basis the next three years. The goal is to learn more about those who tested positive for Covid-19, about immunity, long term consequences of the infection that are traceable, and which factors that may have led to increased risk of infection.

Leader of the research project is neurologist Randi Eikeland (a not very popular doctor who also works with tick born diseases).

According to the article Henrik Vogt said last week during a seminar on protection control, that the consequence can be one of the most expensive and wide reaching problems we have today and will continue to have after the pandemic.

He continues (google translated):

- We see that long covid is the subject of some mystification and exceptionalism. By that I mean that one disregards the knowledge one already has about postviral syndromes, says Vogt, and refers to the fact that it is not unknown that one can get fatigue syndrome with many symptoms after a viral disease.

He reminds that the brain in fear of a symptom is not only able to amplify the symptom, if it is present, it is also able to create and prolong it.

- I do not mean by this that fear, expectation, symptom focus or persistent stress explains the whole symptom picture in everyone after covid-19. But when the research is to start now, it is important that it also sheds light on the fact that symptoms can arise and be exacerbated by fear and belief that they are there, he says.

Full article:
    Færdrelandsvennen Norske forskere kartlegger symptomer og plager etter covid-19
    google translation: Norwegian researchers map symptoms and ailments after covid-19

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  16. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I suppose it is disrespectful to ask for the evidence that the brain is in fear of a symptom or even what that could possibly mean.

EDIT they could do with also studying a further group with similar symptoms commencing at the same time who never had a positive test.

Hutan, Snow Leopard, Michelle and 9 others like this.
  17. boolybooly

boolybooly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Does this guy have BPS connections?

There is zero evidence for this bunkum, it is made up handwaving and deserves to be challenged and debunked.

Its the same old problem of denying what it is, then inventing a convoluted psychological theory, based entirely on projection of fantasy, to explain something simple like persistent virus which is well known clinically but as yet not recognised by the medical political establishment.

This is why it is so important longcovid phenomena are empirically quantified so people like this will shut up.

I have said before and will say again as many times as it takes, I can prove I have recurrent virus with empirical evidence from multiple NHS PCR tests and my own dated photographs of lesions documenting >10 episodes in a single year. Yet the medical establishment at first entirely denied it was possible and it took >30 years for my GP to accept it was, with only this one virus mind you but my experience tells me it is the canary in the coal mine.

Medical dogma on viral persistence is stuck in the dark ages. Look at AIDS for goodness sake, HIV knocks out the immune system and other pathogens proliferate, we already know its not alone in evolving that kind of capability, there is such a strong selection pressure for immunoevasion, it stands to reason viruses will evolve to do this. I have had ample subjective evidence that other viruses are recurring due to some kind of induced immune dysfunction in my own condition, possibly related to EBV in my late youth. Leonard Jason and others presumably recognise the syndrome but there is noone out there who can explain what is going on.

We do so need more careful empirical investigations and less off the cuff made up stuff.

alktipping, Simbindi, StefanE and 5 others like this.
  18. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From the quote in @Kalliope 's post above

What he doesn't say is that the symptoms are usually exacerbated by the therapists fear and beliefs & not the patients.

Especially, in the early years before a patient learns better they are very trusting of their doctors & have a lot of faith in what they are told.

The doctors' abnormal illness fears (that they are clueless and incapable of being open and honest about that) and beliefs push patients down treatment paths that can cause both physical and psychological harm.

I concede that Vogt is a very committed and talented man. It's just a shame his talent is to grasping the wrong end of the stick and being absolutely committed to never letting it go.

19. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

All of that amazing & robust knowledge we have about post-viral syndromes... like Vogt's collection of recovery stories? Wyller's great work on music CBT?

It's pretty amazing to me that anyone can still take Vogt seriously, but it seems that a lot of people want to ignore the problems with his work.

Sadly I can't understand his Norwegian lecture:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  20. rvallee

Really weird to post his contrarian nonsense. Do they interview flat Earthers about astronomy? It makes for great click bait journalism but is a terrible disservice.

One of the odd consequences of Covid is that Henrik will escape the experience of being booed in person, if he said those things with Long Covid people present. I seriously hope this gets studied one day. It's so incredible to have people at this level of delusion actually being taken seriously. This is really what gets me, that anyone takes this junk as if it's credible.