1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Cochrane ME/CFS GET review temporarily withdrawn

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Trish, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

https://in.reuters.com/article/us-h...mid-patient-activist-complaints-idINKCN1MR2PI

Reuters:
    Exclusive: Science journal to withdraw chronic fatigue review amid patient activist complaints

Kate Kelland

LONDON, Oct 17 (Reuters) - A respected science journal is to withdraw a much-cited review of evidence on an illness known as chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) amid fierce criticism and pressure from activists and patients.

The decision, described by the scientists involved as “disproportionate and poorly justified”, is being seen as a victory for activists in a research field plagued by uncertainty and dispute over whether CFS, also known as myalgic encephalopathy (ME), has physical and psychological elements.

Emails seen by Reuters show editors at the influential Cochrane Review journal asking researchers who conducted the analysis, which was published in April 2017, to agree to it being temporarily withdrawn...

Woolie, hinterland, Louie41 and 51 others like this.
  2. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

and if they don't agree what happens?

ETA

The article seems to be vague/contractory.

They state they asked the authors for permission, and asked for a statement, then say it has been withdrawn, then says it would be highly unusual......

I am left confused and unclear as to whether it has actually been withdrawn or if they have just asked the authors if they can please have permission to do so.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  3. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

OMG this is big

4. Graham

Graham Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It breaks my heart to know that Bob is not here to see this. He contributed so much to that. (@vickster )

This could be huge, especially for the NICE review. Thanks to @Esther12 , @dave30th , @Tom Kindlon and all you others who have been a driving force in this.

Woolie, LadyBirb, Tilly and 81 others like this.
  5. Gecko

Gecko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread

https://in.reuters.com/article/us-h...mid-patient-activist-complaints-idINKCN1MR2PI

Woah! I wasn't expecting this. Good end to my day!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2018
    Woolie, janice, WillowJ and 34 others like this.
  6. andypants

andypants Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wow! Out of the blue! At least for me:D

:thumbup:

Woolie, Marit @memhj, janice and 21 others like this.
  7. Rick Sanchez

Rick Sanchez Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes Colin. Reviews should be based on scientific and clinical evidence. That's why the review is being withdrawn.

Huge news by the way. No more hiding behind Cochranes skirts.

Woolie, LadyBirb, janice and 46 others like this.
  8. Philipp

Philipp Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not to be a cynic, but if they intend to 'allow [...] time to adequately address the feedback', who decides what is adequate here? Without an actual scientist from the real world overseeing this process I would not be surprised if they just added some BS sentence to the tune of 'while some people feel that what has consistently made us money and harmed patients severly is not cool, we think it is really cool because there is nothing we can offer patients - having successfully funneled funding from real research over to our pockets for decades - and we fear we might be liable in some way for what we have done if we ever admit that our brand of institutionalized violence is actually just that' (in their words, obviously, including continuing to call themselves 'scientists' and all those funny little word-redefinitions their ilk likes to come up with in their spare time) and then proceed to roll out the same antiscientific crap as before.

Woolie, hinterland, LadyBirb and 20 others like this.
  9. Gecko

Gecko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Also the article manages to state:
    suggesting he has no conflicts of interest at all. But if he was at the MRC in 2007 was he not part of funding the PACE trial?? Rubbish reporting.

janice, WillowJ, Jan and 31 others like this.
  10. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We're in interesting times!

Maybe one day patients' objections will be reported accurately.

LadyBirb, janice, WillowJ and 28 others like this.
  11. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have a feeling it is a bit like

'You are just going out side and may be some time.'

They have had a year already to address the feedback from the update review that got trashed. They are now having their previous version withdrawn.

I don;t think this is likely to reappear.

Woolie, hinterland, janice and 45 others like this.
  12. Trish

What happened to the update review - will it still be published?

13. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

Am I really awake?

janice, Robert, Jan and 30 others like this.
  14. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

15. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is awesome. Good timing too I think. Article was a bit rubbish, but the original message was clear, if you ignore all the added opinions.

Woolie, janice, WillowJ and 33 others like this.
  16. Jonathan Edwards

Someone authoritative has said not but I cannot give an official statement. It is pretty unlikely to get published if this is withdrawn since it also has the PACE authors on it as authors.

Woolie, janice, Mark Vink and 34 others like this.
  17. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Note that there are 2 separate reviews led by Larun et al. One involved individual patient data and has not so far been published. The other used pooled data. It was the only one that has been published so presumably is the one that is being withdrawn (it is not possible to withdraw something that hasn't been published)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    Woolie, Inara, janice and 23 others like this.
  18. Trish

The article is pretty terrible - Blakemore is talking rubbish, all the old stuff about us attacking researchers, and the objections being on the basis of we don't like being classed as having a mental illness. Someone should send him Vink's critique.

But the news is great. :D :party: :balloons:

Woolie, janice, allyann and 45 others like this.
  19. Jonathan Edwards

Where's @dave30th?
    I was with him a few hours ago at Houses of Parliament - having watched the swans in St James's Park for a bit..

hinterland, janice, Jan and 39 others like this.
  20. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Can only assume that if they don’t now address the issues that have been raised then the temporary withdrawal will continue and effectively become permanent. Given they have no answer to the criticisms they have been painted into a corner

Woolie, Jan, Indigophoton and 20 others like this.