1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Collapsed Veins

Discussion in 'Cardiovascular and exercise physiology (CPET)' started by brf, Mar 30, 2018.

1. brf

brf Established Member (Voting Rights)

Does anyone notice that the veins in their arms collapse for periods of time throughout the day? There's also periods when the veins are absolutely huge. I've been intending to take notice of exactly when this happens but so far I haven't managed to, although I suspect eating may have something to do with it.

It didn't happen in the earlier years with ME (long-termer here) but certainly has for the last several.

Does this happen to anyone else?

2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

For me it's gravity that makes the difference. I have noticed that if I sit with my arms hanging down by my sides, then look at my hands and forearms the veins look swollen and blue. Hold my arm above my head for a minute or so, and it all drains away. I put it down to old age (I'm 68). Probably not what you are talking about.

brf and TigerLilea like this.
  3. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have it too - have had for a long time. I'm nearly 65 and have had ME for 23 years. Don't know how long my veins have been like this, but it's quite a long time.

brf likes this.
  4. brf

Thanks for weighing in @Trish and @MeSci

I've been laying flat all morning except for one brief period of being upright to get a cup of coffee.

When I wrote this a couple of hours ago with my arms at rest, my veins were collapsed, actually inverted, and I was very much feeling drained. I had a cup of coffee maybe 45 minutes ago and my veins are now huge and bulging. I'm probably feeling a little less drained.

It's hard to tell the various levels of 'crappy' apart. :D

MeSci and Trish like this.
  5. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It sounds like you could have been dehydrated. That would certainly cause your veins to be less prominent. And it could also explain why you were feeling drained. Make sure you drink some water throughout the day as it is more hydrating than coffee; caffeine is dehydrating.

Wonko and brf like this.
  6. brf

Mmm - Could be I suppose but I drink over 60 oz of water a day.
    It's been like this for years. Wonder if it has something to do with blood volume.

Binkie4 likes this.
  7. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have no idea how old you are, @brf , however, aging does cause our veins to be more prominent, especially with gravity as someone else mentioned. As we get older our subcutaneous fat thins out causing our veins to be much more noticeable.

8. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is entirely normal.

The veins in your arms can vary from being huge and bulgy to completely collapsed and all it takes for the difference is to move the arm by about six inches in relation to the heart. It is also very dependent on how warm your body is (not just the arm). It has nothing to do with dehydration, unless you have been stuck in the desert for a couple of days. If people do sport on a hot day until they need to drink a couple of pints it is not likely to make any difference to veins bulging - they will do if the body is hot.

arewenearlythereyet and Trish like this.
  9. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't have ME but certainly see it. I'm sure it must be a mind/body thing because whenever I have to go for a blood test the damn things disappear altogether! :p:rolleyes::)

MeSci, Trish, AliceLily and 2 others like this.
  10. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well, one thing I've noticed is that when the veins in my wrists can no longer be discerned, my blood pressure is significantly higher than when those veins are prominent.

brf and Barry like this.
  11. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Blood draws can be quite the trial for me, especially if I'm supposed to be fasting. My veins always wiggle away, even if not fasting, sometimes collapse/are blown with blood draws. I've had lab techs try six times or more at one go to fill one test tube. Pre ME my veins were never a problem.

MeSci, brf and andypants like this.