1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Covid-19 vaccines and vaccinations

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by hinterland, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not surprising since the MEA website was redesigned :(

I don't think the GP surgeries necessarily know which vaccine they're going to get on a day-to-day basis! Mine had started off with the Pfizer that day, then switched over to AstraZeneca once that had run out, I think.

Tia, Kitty, JaneL and 1 other person like this.
  2. Wits_End

So, I got off the phone from a friend earlier this evening. When I told her I'd had the vaccination, she said she'd absolutely refuse to have it, citing the rushed development, the very low percentage of people outside the at-risk categories - which she's not in, admittedly - suffering severe effects from it (Long Covid wasn't mentioned), and what she claimed was the fact that it would make people very vulnerable to the next new coronavirus which came along. Is there any scientific logic to that last statement? If not, I'd like to be able to refute it, which I can't at present. It may be that years of exposure to a lot of very "alternative" therapies and practitioners have influenced the way she thinks, and she has been noticeably anti-mask throughout the pandemic, but I'm not sure whether any of her attitudes have been based in actual science rather than misinformation.

Kitty, JemPD and Barry like this.
  3. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I still haven’t had the vaccine! They keep sending me text messages to come into the surgery. We’ve told them so many times, Dr IQ requests, phone calls - the practice nurse said she’s put in a request weeks ago - when we’ve called it’s on my notes that the vaccine has been booked but there’s no date - message sent to management - but it’s just not happening?

Trying to get a referral to district nurse and district nurse keeps saying no referral has come through.

they only are doing in person visits, no one seems to have any idea what is going on with home visits.

I think my GP practice is in disarray even more than usual. :/ I should have had the vaccine by now. Have no idea how to even get this scheduled. My GP is saying he doesn’t know how it works..

Kitty, Helene, JaneL and 3 others like this.
  4. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Wits_End

She is very misinformed. Unfortunately, it sounds like a lot of stuff I read about on Twitter. They also believe that the earth is flat.
    In simple terms you could explain to her that we no longer see Polio because it's been eradicated with vaccines.

Kitty, Wits_End, Helene and 2 others like this.
  5. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No, quite the opposite. There is a reasonable chance that vaccine to one coronavirus will provide some protection against the next. There is no known situation where it works the other way as far as I know.

But I'm only a professor in the department of infection and immunity at UCL.

EzzieD, Kitty, hinterland and 15 others like this.
  6. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well, I asked for the one with the microchip. The wife thinks it might help in finding me if I fail to return from a dogwalk. They wouldn't confirm that I was getting it.

Chezboo, EzzieD, Kitty and 22 others like this.
  7. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

That is appalling, luna, I'm so sorry.

I had a phone call from my GP surgery to invite me to make an appointment at the nearest vaccine centre which is run by a group of GP practices at one of their surgeries. I said I needed a home visit. She said, fine, I'll put you on the list. 2 days later the nurse turned up and gave me my first dose. I think it helps I'm in a small town and all the GP practices are cooperating in producing an efficient system. It's probably more confusing in large cities with multiple mass vaccination centres.

Do the text messages give you a way of contacting them directly to make your appointment? If so, can you contact that number and say directly to them that you need a home visit, rather than the practice nurse trying to sort it for you, since that doesn't seem to be working?

Kitty, Simbindi, Barry and 4 others like this.
  8. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The text I received only gave a URL link to book an appointment, what is on that link I have no idea as it is currently impossible for me to visit the surgery, let alone at a very specific time, or the closest vaccination center (as of a couple of weeks ago this was over a miles walk each way). I also couldn't queue, and I can't call anyone.

It didn't seem worthwhile to even open the link at this point, I'll wait until the bulk of people have been done (over 50s anyway) and then try, somehow, to get a home visit.

Kitty, Helene, Simbindi and 3 others like this.
  9. Trish

I think if people don't book via the linked site, their GP practice is supposed to follow it up with a phone call to see if they can help you arrange the appointment, and that's when you can ask for a home visit. If you are in groups 1 to 4 that should have been done by now, and if you have missed out you can contact your GP surgery to get a home visit arranged if you need one.

But as @lunarainbows says, that hasn't worked for her. We're still waiting for our GP to reply to a request that my daughter be put in group 6.

Kitty, Wits_End, Simbindi and 3 others like this.
  10. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for the laugh

Kitty, Sean, Yessica and 7 others like this.
  11. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I got a text from GP surgery and sorted booking by phone just as I did for flu in the autumn, no letter received

Kitty, Barry, JaneL and 1 other person like this.
  12. Trish

I had the letter after I had the vaccine!

Kitty, Simbindi, JemPD and 1 other person like this.
  13. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, I also had a NHS letter after having had the GP initiated vaccine.

The vaccination centre was extremely well run, but I did note one little amusement. After having the jab they then gave me some information, which included a section saying important information to read before being vaccinated. Not a big deal though because it was actually info the nursed had covered with me before giving the vaccine.

Kitty, JaneL, Helene and 4 others like this.
  14. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you! i would have made that mistake

:laugh:

Kitty, JaneL, Sarah94 and 4 others like this.
  15. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From the MEA site
    So not ibuprofen then? I usually take them in combination for flu-like symptoms so was planning to do likewise for vaccine side effects but the way this is worded suggests paracetamol preferred? Anyone know why? @Jonathan Edwards would there be any biological reason for this?

Kitty, Helene and Simbindi like this.
  16. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I would go for ibuprofen, certainly.

Kitty, JaneL, FMMM1 and 5 others like this.
  17. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No, there’s just a phone number to call the GP surgery again! The clinic appointments are done at or organised by the GP surgery. My mum called again today and they said the referral is with the admin team and should hopefully get to the district nurses very soon.. I think my mum will chase them up tomorrow and see.

Kitty, Missense, MeSci and 2 others like this.
  18. Wits_End

Oh, lunarainbows, I'm sure it doesn't help, but you're not alone. A couple of boroughs along, we're waiting for a home visit, too. 4 weeks now since the surgery's initial call to sound caree out on having a jab ...

Kitty, MeSci, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  19. Wits_End

In the early days, it was generally being recommended to take paracetamol rather than ibuprofen if you caught Covid-19 itself - I can't remember exactly why now, something to do with the anti-inflammatory effect - but I don't know whether that has anything to do with it.

20. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I knew I'd seen something on this;

https://www.bmj.com/content/368/bmj.m1086/rr-12

Ibuprofen, ace2, summit to do wit lungs - all too complicated for me - but sure it'sin there somewhere, in the words n things

possibly someone with a wordspace of more than a few words could...

Gibberish, but it has some useful words randomly splattered in it.

No idea if it's right of course - myself and I tend to default to ibuprofen over paracetamol for a lot of things.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    Kitty, JaneL, Invisible Woman and 3 others like this.