1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Crowdfunding: Trial By Error: [David Tuller] Reporting on ME, CFS, "medically unexplained symptoms," and related stuff, 2020

Discussion in 'Fundraising' started by Andy, Apr 10, 2020.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Read more, and donate, at https://crowdfund.berkeley.edu/project/20159

2. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ETA - Update - It appears that the thanks to the efforts of @dave30th that Berkeley have changed the donation page, which have been redesigned and now work as a rational person would expect.

ETAA - Berkeley have now 'refunded' the excess in my donation.

Other than the initial problem, in dealing with an untested donation page, this has been handled perfectly by all involved. The website was fixed once they were made aware of the problem, and the 'overpayment' corrected as fast as could be reasonably expected given it was over Easter.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not wishing to be uncharitable, I believe in the cause, but people need to watch out for the unorthodox way the donation page is set up.

Normally I would select a donation amount from a list by checkbox and ignore everything else.

I did this, I selected the $10 box and proceeded - only to find I had donated $100.

I did click the right box, but those click boxes have absolutely nothing to do with the donation amount.

The amount donated is in the text field at the top, for entering a user specified amount, and $100 by default.

If you don't want to donate $100 then this MUST be changed, or you will.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
    Hutan, MSEsperanza, TiredSam and 11 others like this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

@dave30th is there any way donations made in error can be refunded?

4. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Of course, I will refund any money personally if it comes to that. The $10 button was added specifically at my request. I don't have access to the back workings but I will alert the administrator. It went up automatically at midnight in California, so I assume any issues won't get taken care of till Friday morning our time.

Edit: I have alerted the administrator of the issue. Stay tuned. Anyone who over-donates will over course get reimbursed.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    Hutan, MSEsperanza, TiredSam and 20 others like this.
  5. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I hesitated because of the question "And select a perk below".

What does this mean?

alktipping, DokaGirl, Lisa108 and 3 others like this.
  6. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Normally crowdfunders give you free stuff for contributing.

alktipping, DokaGirl, MEMarge and 8 others like this.
  7. Andy

Andy Committee Member

How much do I need to donate to get a signed @dave30th picture?? ;)

Actually, more seriously, perhaps we could set-up one of my video Q&As to coincide with October's crowdfunding?

2kidswithME, Hutan, Mij and 21 others like this.
  8. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've not visited the site yet this time around, but presumably from what you are saying, whenever someone clicks on a check box the web page should automatically populate the text field with the amount you just clicked on.

alktipping, DokaGirl, JaneL and 4 others like this.
  9. Andy

Andy Committee Member

It does for me. It might be that it glitched for Wonko?

alktipping, DokaGirl, MEMarge and 5 others like this.
  10. Wonko

ETA - Update - It appears that the thanks to the efforts of @dave30th that Berkeley have changed the donation page, which have been redesigned and now work as a rational person would expect.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    When I clicked on the link in Andy's first post in this thread the only button I could see was 'give now', I clicked on it and got taken to

https://crowdfund.berkeley.edu/project/20159/donate

This page has a text box at the top, with a greyed out 100 in it, below that are a series of radio boxes giving amounts you wish to donate - with text like

Contribute $10
    Unlimited
    Thank you for your gift of $10!

so I clicked on one, got through the payment process, only to be told I had donated $100

Normally on donation pages the text box is for those who want to donate a specific, or large, amount, and it is overridden by the radio boxes.

I have no idea what a 'perk' is in this context, and Berkeley have in the past done things 'differently' than anywhere else I have ever donated to - so as far as I was concerned I'd selected the $10 donation, filled in the card details, it should have taken $10.

Why on earth would they have almost all of the page for 'perks', whatever they are, when the point is to raise money?

@dave30th did tell me in PM that the front page had amounts to donate, and these did work correctly, but due to the screen resolution I am using none of these were visible, just the 'give now' button was visible - so I clicked that.

alktipping, MeSci, Dolphin and 6 others like this.
  11. Grigor

Grigor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, if you need one of mine lemme know! ;)

JoanneS, alktipping, MEMarge and 7 others like this.
  12. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Signed by you both?? :)

alktipping, MEMarge, JaneL and 2 others like this.
  13. Grigor

Grigor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well I was referring to @dave30th. I don't want to spoil the picture with mine lol.

alktipping, MEMarge, Lisa108 and 4 others like this.
  14. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Done. It still seemed to leave $100 as default in the text box at the top. Then the selection amounts below. Selecting a default amount didn't amend the $100 in the text box.

I just selected No perk and put the amount I wanted to donate in the text box instead.

Can you remind people maybe at the start of September @dave30th. Just so they have a heads up the opportunity to donate is coming soon. I bought myself a new skirt as a treat a few weeks ago and if I had the wit to remember the crowdfunding I would have used the money for this instead.

15. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Can I request as my perk a signed @dave30th photograph and an ‘I love Dr Dave’ tea shirt be sent to a BPS researcher of my choice?

JoanneS, alktipping, MEMarge and 10 others like this.
  16. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

yes, this is what's supposed to happen but for a couple of people it didn't--one other person besides Wonko had the same thing happen. --Berkeley is trying to figure out where the glitch is and fix it. Of course, anyone who over-donated will get reimbursed--either by the system or by me personally.

Edit: Ok, the problem seems to have been fixed. There were references to "perks" that have been removed. Most crowdfunding campaigns offer different gifts for different levels of donations. I'm not doing that. Removing that somehow resolved the other problem. Another person besides Wonko touched base with me. Both will of course get reimbursed for the over-amounts. Thanks for alerting me to this! Sorry for the problem.

17. Wonko

The glitch seems obvious.

The buttons on the front page set the amount in the text box, and also select the appropriate 'perk' radio box.

The radio boxes do absolutely nothing, they should be linked to the amount to donate, as a primary function.

However - they seem to have changed the donation page, and are no longer using radio boxes.

It seems that the new system works, at least to select an amount directly.

So it seems that @dave30th's communications with Berkeley have at least fixed the interesting feature in their donation pages.

:thumbup::thumbup:

18. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

19. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

yes I can confirm it's working ok now, no mention of perks.
    From the link in the OP I clicked on the 'give now' button on the right hand side, then it came up with a box saying $100 (I so wish I could afford to give that much!) but then underneath options for different amounts, & when you click them the amount in the box at the top now changes & stayed changed, taking the correct amount, confirmed by email.

Sorry the 'times' are so awkward for you in this but i'm thrilled to be able to support you. Pls make sure you remind us when -as I understand it? - sorry I bit slurry today couldn't quite understand the write up but I understand Berkelty will be doing another crowds fund later in the year? pls make sure you alert su for that.

Hutan, alktipping, JaneL and 10 others like this.
  20. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hope it all goes well... I'm going to be saving my pennies.

If I find anyone who is getting a refund for a cancelled holiday before 4th May (the end date), I'll be sure to direct them to this page as a worthwhile substitute.