1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Dispatches: The Truth About Long Covid Monday 15th March, 8pm

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Lidia Thompson, Mar 15, 2021.

1. Lidia Thompson

Lidia Thompson Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hi.
    There's a programme tonight about Long Covid.

Here are a couple of trailers:

1. https://twitter.com/user/status/1371400782722043904

2. https://twitter.com/user/status/1371144094206943234

Here is the synopsis:
    https://www.bradfordhospitals.nhs.u...ord-long-covid-clinic-the-first-in-yorkshire/

I know a colleague of the film-maker. I intend to send any feedback directly to them.

Those of you who decide to watch the documentary, please would you be kind enough to comment on the film whilst bearing in mind that the comments may be seen by folk who have no knowledge of the history of ME/CFS or of the science behind the associated exertion intolerance.

If there are more such documentaries in the future, any pertinent and salient information that you provide, may help to shape the content of those, so I think it's worth our best shot!

Personally, I think that if the rest of the film is framed the same way as the trailers (i.e. there is 'this physical damage' which can been seen in the x-rays and scans and 'the rest is a mental health problem') then I think I need to brace myself for what I am about to see. I hope I am wrong.

Looking forward to your comments.

2. Lidia Thompson

3. Ariel

Ariel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Don't think I can bear to watch it having seen that first tweet. :(

4. Lidia Thompson

It was surprisingly good actually! I am SO relieved. The two tweets above are actually NOT representative of the whole documentary.

5. Ariel

Ariel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm so glad! Honestly we could do without more harmful BS at the moment. I may watch it when feeling up to it - the whole topic is still quite upsetting. Do you think it will help people understand the relevant issues? I'm relieved! :)

alktipping, DokaGirl, JaneL and 4 others like this.
  6. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I thought it was reasonably good. Lead of Bradford long-Covid clinic said they were using regimented exercise at start. Wasn't working, so have moved to energy management approach.

Edit: How many may have been harmed in those first six months if they were indeed pushing GET (or something similar)? It really makes Thursday's letter in the Guardian look all the more negligent.

alktipping, DokaGirl, Sean and 14 others like this.
  7. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I thought it was okay, but then I'm not as aware of ME politics as some on this forum.

For those in the UK, here's the link (it was on Channel 4):
    https://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-truth-about-long-covid-dispatches

ME (sorry, CFS) was mentioned. Their definition of Long Covid is pretty broad: it included those who actually had damage to various organs.

8. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I mentioned it here
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/possi...ovid-19-long-covid.14074/page-192#post-330794

that was the overall impression I got, and the brief mention of CFS, chronic fatigue, later on used as an example.
    I tried for ages to get C4 news and Dispatches to look at the issues around the PACE trial with little success (ie a certain health reporter couldn't see any problem with it even when I gave her a statement from JE).
    Then there was Unrest which also didn't interest them, they'd never heard of Millions Missing, and for a while I sent links to various other key 'events' relating to ME.
    Sometimes I got a reply.

C4 have 'links' to the SMC and are pretty much in the BPS camp.

https://www.s4me.info/threads/the-r...re-a-collaboration-with-itn-productions.2147/

9. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Adam pwme and Trish like this.
  10. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

11. Adam pwme

Adam pwme Senior Member (Voting Rights)

12. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"“Some patients are recovering very quickly but some patients are developing a condition that is akin to chronic fatigue syndrome. And this is where the experience of people who have been dealing with chronic fatigue for decades is really important. One thing we know is, we don’t push people too hard. We are concentrating a lot more on the psychology and the mental recovery of patients.”

Peter Trewhitt, Wonko and Trish like this.
  13. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Both the statements and their implications as to the state of medical understanding are moderately terrifying aren't they.

I just love the implication that the experience 'of people who have been dealing with chronic fatigue for decades' is important - which apparently doesn't mean the patients, but the 'medical' people - even when they've been doing so unsuccessfully, and are 'probably' solely responsible for harming their patients.

Yep - we should definitely listen to them. :grumpy:

Starlight, shak8, Mithriel and 4 others like this.