1. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th January 2021 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Doxycycline, benefits, or otherwise, from use?

Discussion in 'Antivirals, Antibiotics and Immune Modulators' started by Andy, Feb 15, 2019.

1. svetoslav80

svetoslav80 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've been on doxycycline to treat chronic bacterial prostatitis. It didn't help neither for it, nor for CFS.

MEMarge, Hutan, Wonko and 1 other person like this.
  2. James Morris-Lent

James Morris-Lent Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As I have written before, Levofloxacin took me from very severe (bedbound) to semi-functional (walk 3 miles/day, study part-time, some other activities). If I stop taking it, symptoms come back. I tried switching to both Doxycycline and Minocycline because they seem, on balance, much more benign for long-term use as far as broad-spectrum antibiotics go. Unfortunately, they had no positive effect, so I went back to Levofloxacin. In addition, when I was on Doxycycline/Minocycline, I had a very hard time eating due to loss of appetite and pronounced dry mouth.

There are some papers out there purporting to show that mycoplasma infection plays a role in CFS. These would be by Garth Nicholson, et al. If this were the case, tetracyclines would be relevant as one of the three classes of antibiotic that we have to target these organisms (the other two being fluoroquinolone [levofloxacin, etc.] and macrolide [azithromycin, etc.]. Presumably this was a dead end. If common antibiotics could treat a significant proportion of CFS cases, we would be curing a lot more people.

MEMarge, roller*, Hutan and 2 others like this.
  3. leokitten

leokitten Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Recently I've been wondering about lower doses of doxycycline and minocycline. Dosage levels that do not negatively affect gut microbiome while still maintaining antiinflammatory and microglial inhibiting properties. I think they make a 40 mg delayed release version of doxy for certain skin conditions and supposedly 40mg qd will not affect your gut microbiome.

Susan K, ukxmrv and MEMarge like this.
  4. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge likes this.
  5. Fiefelopseltje

Fiefelopseltje Established Member

My ME-doc gave me some for a mycoplasma, 4 cycles of a few weeks, or was supposed to but didn't make it past 3 (didn't die, obvi, but felt like it), looking back it may have been a good thing after all because just teasing the EBV out with natural remedies wasn't cutting it, it feels like bacteria & viruses cling together.