1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Energy management education and occupation-related outcomes in adults with chronic diseases: A scoping review, 2020, Farragher et al

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Dolphin, Apr 15, 2020.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Free full text: https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/0308022620904327

Energy management education and occupation-related outcomes in adults with chronic diseases: A scoping review

5 of the 44 studies were CFS studies

2. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
    Andy likes this.
  3. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Haven't read the paper, but was surprised by this:

Exclusion criteria

•The fatigue intervention included one or more other fatigue management approaches (for example cognitive-behavioral therapy, exercise) in addition to energy management education.

So there are CBT-and-exercise-free 'education programs' for coping with fatigue in chronic diseases?

@dave30th

MEMarge and Andy like this.
  4. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes but there isn't that much research on it, I think.

I think pacing in ME/CFS comes from and is included in this tradition of energy management techniques in chronic illnesses such as MS. There's however another interpretation of pacing with comes from the chronic pain literature which is more focused on increasing physical activity. I've tried to explain this in a comment to a paper by Antcliff and colleagues who are applying the second definition of pacing in the field of ME/CFS.

The PACE-trial and its limitations are briefly mentioned in this paper by the way

MSEsperanza, Andy, Sean and 2 others like this.