1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Esther Crawley's presentations (excluding the 2017 TEDx talk)

Discussion in 'UK clinics and doctors' started by Revel, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Revel

Revel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've "liked" this but ....:mad:

3. Revel

I know! Talk about having "a finger in every pie". Just how many digits does this woman have?

4. Revel

I've just noticed that ESPID's Board President is Adam Finn.

Finn is Professor of Paediatrics at . . . wait for it . . . University of Bristol. Well, isn't that a stroke of luck for Crawley?

5. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"Meet the Professor Sessions
    Meet the Professor Sessions will be held on Wednesday, May 30 and Thursday, May 31 between 07:00 and 07:50. There is no need to register for these sessions. If the room is full you may need to choose to attend a different session. "

"Participants are encouraged to submit educational or controversial cases to one of the Meet the Professor sessions (see session list below) by selecting the relevant abstract topic and sub-topic (click here to view the list), and by selecting the stream: Case Report or Case Series during the abstract submission process ."

"What the PID doctor needs to know Chronic Fatigue "

http://espidmeeting.org/2018/scientific-information/meet-the-professor-sessions1#.Wku2XrhizCM

6. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

7. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is anything EC does? Apart from slag us off that is.

8. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

He's one of the people praising the Science Media Centre in this video: http://www.sciencemediacentre.org/film/

Allele, ladycatlover, MEMarge and 7 others like this.
  9. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I note that Benoit Chassaing from Georgia State University will be speaking. His research has shown that emulsifiers in processed food leads to Crohn's Disease and colitis in mice. He's an expert on the gut and chronic inflammatory disease.

One can only hope Chassaing will ask Crawley some probing questions.

Amw66, Allele, Indigophoton and 7 others like this.
  10. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Does it being an infectious diseases forum imply any unstated concessions by Crawley?

Just asking for a friend...

11. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Typically infectious diseases are caused by viral or bacterial infections, since Ester claims this is psychological she has no expertise to speak at a conference about real diseases. Of course that only applies when patients are considered humans with dignity, since she thinks of us as below contempt she is given free reign to treat us as such :emoji_face_palm:

Inara, ladycatlover, MEMarge and 2 others like this.
  12. Esther12

She doesn't. Recently she's been saying it's 'physical', although it's not really clear what she means by that. I don't think it really matters. What matters is that she's misleading people about the efficacy of her treatments.

13. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh so we can now treat physical diseases now by denying they exist :emoji_face_palm:
    This house of cards is growing

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  14. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

I think "Fingers Crawley" has a certain ring to it.

"Chronic fatigue" counts as an infectious disease because it can be transmitted amongst a patient population via the mechanism of mass hysteria. It therefore falls within Fingers Crawley's area of expertise.

15. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Do the rest of the speakers adhere to same world view?

16. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is very instructive to watch this video. I see a group of people being smarmy, condescending, self-congratulatory, arrogant and in many cases, embarrassingly naïve. The woman from Imperial epitomises their tacky commercial approach which has now engulfed UCL as well. Adam Finn and all the others are basking in the flattery of being able to say what great science they are associated with.

It is not actually about telling the public about science. It is about putting the public right about the science people want to be able to do but the public are being a nuisance by not liking very much. A bit like Trump's golf course in Scotland - people need to know how really great it is.

There are so many quotes that in time will come back to haunt the champions of SMC: how it allows scientists to proactively communicate the truth, for instance.

I would be interested to know what the science director at the BBC now thinks of all this.

17. Esther12

TiredSam, Inara, James and 8 others like this.
  18. Valentijn

Valentijn Guest

Probably more accurate to describe it as the blind blinding those who still might be able to see a bit :p

19. guest001

guest001 Guest

5 minutes? - lets' guess:

"All our ancestors were war heroes. We've all been abused by wicked patients, but we've all got balls so it's ok, we'll bravely fight on. And the local REC and the BRTC (Bristol Randomized Trials Collaboration) are VERY nice people, they've been invaluable to us, we're sure they'll help you too. Now where's the cake? What, no cake? I can't believe there's no cake. "

20. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Maybe, they've asked her along, so that she can learn something from the others.

Anyone in the area who could attend? This would be a good way to find out how paediatric trials are usually designed etc.
    Presuming it's open access and they are not screening for vexatious militants or people wanting to ask reasonable questions, should be OK.