1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Evaluating Routine Blood Tests According to Clinical Symptoms and Diagnostic Criteria in Individuals with [ME/CFS], 2021, Baklund et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Andy, Jul 14, 2021.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Abstract

There is a lack of research regarding blood tests within individuals with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) and between patients and healthy controls. We aimed to compare results of routine tests between patients and healthy controls. Data from 149 patients diagnosed with ME/CFS based on clinical and psychiatric evaluation as well as on the DePaul Symptom Questionnaire, and data from 264 healthy controls recruited from blood donors were compared. One-way ANCOVA was conducted to examine differences between ME/CFS patients and healthy controls, adjusting for age and gender.

Patients had higher sedimentation rate (mean difference: 1.38, 95% CI: 0.045 to 2.714), leukocytes (mean difference: 0.59, 95% CI: 0.248 to 0.932), lymphocytes (mean difference: 0.27, 95% CI: 0.145 to 0.395), neutrophils (mean difference: 0.34, 95% CI: 0.0 89 to 0.591), monocytes (mean difference: 0.34, 95% CI: 0.309 to 0.371), ferritin (mean difference: 28.13 95% CI: −1.41 to 57.672), vitamin B12 (mean difference: 83.43, 95% CI: 62.89 to 124.211), calcium (mean difference: 0.02, 95% CI: −0.02 to 0.06), alanine transaminase (ALAT) (mean difference: 3.30, 95% CI: −1.37 to -7.971), low-density lipoproteins (mean difference: 0.45, 95% CI: 0.104 to 0.796), and total proteins (mean difference: 1.53, 95% CI: −0.945 to 4.005) than control subjects. The patients had lower potassium levels (mean difference: 0.11, 95% CI: 0.056 to 0.164), creatinine (mean difference: 2.60; 95% CI: 0.126 to 5.074) and creatine kinase (CK) (mean difference: 37.57 95% CI: −0.282 to 75.422) compared to the healthy controls. Lower CK and creatinine levels may suggest muscle damage and metabolic abnormalities in ME/CFS patients.

Open access, https://www.mdpi.com/2077-0383/10/14/3105

2. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

so many drs read the results of test and if they are just within range just shrug of any difference as unimportant .i think all the ranges of multiple routine test are in need of a complete overhaul since they where mostly done on the results of military volunteers in the fifties if i remember correctly very fit teenage males .

3. James Morris-Lent

James Morris-Lent Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I mean if these tests gave us any good clues we would have known it by now...

In the paper they report the means but fail to put boxplots side by side, which is definitely not very cash money.

4. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It actually suggests the opposite - CK spills over into circulation when muscles are damaged. What it really means is patients are less active than controls.

5. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Our gp was slightly amused when I gave her a copy of blood tests over 4 years. ' we don't use bloods like that '
    Visible were clear shifts in glucose, ferritin , electrolytes and TSH

Apart from creatinine and urea, these never fell outwith normal ranges .

As my daughter was still growing some of these are doubtless expected .

The glucose may reflect metabolic issues as diet is lower carb than normal.

GP could perhaps see value in potential long term monitoring for chronic illnesses but won't happen anytime soon.

6. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's reasonable to assume the dropouts were the most severe and, although the study still had 43 out of 149 (c. 29%) participants rated as severe, this may or may not have skewed the results somewhat.

Though the findings aren't really dramatic anyway so probably not too much should be read into them. At least I hope so because if they're right then they're not studying my type of ME.

Looking at my own blood test values for the things they found differences in, only three of my results match the direction found in the study: high B12 (without supplementation), highish LDL and lowish creatinine.

But most go the opposite way.

The study found higher levels of leukocytes, lymphocytes, neutrophils and monocytes as well as increased
    calcium, protein, ALAT and ASAT (severe patients) - mine are all low or low-normal. Plus the study found lower levels of potassium. Mine is normal.

(I don't have any CK or sedimentation rate values and my ferritin levels are a function of my haemochromatosis treatment so can't be compared.)

Meh.

7. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Low, not high, ESR has in the past been cited as a potential marker/finding of ME/CFS. I don't think these sorts of studies will lead us anywhere.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
  8. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It would be interesting to compare those with a modern sampling of typical underexercised poor diet subjects. :)

Invisible Woman, J.G, Sean and 5 others like this.
  9. Dom

Dom Established Member (Voting Rights)

Has anyone ever done a study like this into hormone tests for the same number of ME patients and controls I wonder? Looking at thyroid hormones as well as sex hormones and gdh/ifg-1?

10. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Seems that there is a small type in table 2. I think the mean difference for monocytes should be 0.039 rather than 0.39

upload_2021-7-27_17-4-42.png

11. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The standard deviation for CK in the control group seems unusually large. It's reported as 282.88 while the mean is only 121.90. The standard deviation in the control group is only 34.43. It also doesn't fit with the relatively small confidence interval for the mean:
    upload_2021-7-27_17-14-28.png

12. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

My blood tests always come back fabulous. I'm a very lucky chap.

13. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"Patient looks well", too. Doubly lucky.

Michelle, alktipping, Helene and 5 others like this.
  14. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"You appear to be my healthiest patient."