1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Eye fatigue

Discussion in 'General and other signs and symptoms' started by TheBassist, Nov 9, 2019.

1. TheBassist

TheBassist Senior Member (Voting Rights)

One of my constant symptoms is eye fatigue. I don’t see it mentioned often, but I’m guessing that’s just because it becomes part of the wallpaper for us. Has anyone found anything that alleviates it?

2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I definitely get some sort of eye fatigue/eye strain/ sore eyes / difficulty focusing.
    The only things that help me are lower ambient light levels, avoiding TV that involves a lot of rapid movement and flashing lights, and resting with eyes closed.

If you are getting tired eyes from looking at the forum on your screen, you may find one of the styles available with dark background and pale text works better for you. You can find them by clicking on 'Default style' at the bottom left of the forum screen in the strip along the bottom. Personally those dark background styles don't work for me - I find the words much harder to read, but some people find them very helpful.

Edit: I also turn the brightness down on my computer, and make the text larger by using Control +

alktipping, rvallee, SallyC and 4 others like this.
  3. TheBassist

I do find darker screen styles help a little. Incidentally a nice act of charity the practitioner offered me at my assessment the other day was to ask immediately if I could stand having the light on in her room.

alktipping, ladycatlover and Trish like this.
  4. AllenJB

AllenJB Established Member (Voting Rights)

One thing I've noticed with ME is that all of the muscles get weak. I've had to strain to force them to work. This shows that the underlying process is affecting the neuromusclar system directly. You end up feeling like this. [​IMG]

Picture of man with eyes popping out

5. SallyC

SallyC Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If part of it is a kind of throbbing ache you can buy cheap cool pack eye masks from places like ebay. They really helped me when it was at it's worst.

I second all Trish's suggestions re screens too. I enlarge the text on ebooks to ridiculous levels as well.

6. TheBassist

Exactly. If my eyes hurt, can the NHS explain to me how a psychologist or GET is going to help me! Gah!

7. AllenJB

AllenJB Established Member (Voting Rights)

Amw66 likes this.
  8. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I found I’ve got dry eyes which is pretty common as we age so in my case probably nothing to do with ME. Worth getting that checked at an eye test because it is easy to alleviate with drops. I also find wearing an eye mask at night helpful. I try -not very successfully -to limit tv and online time. I Have the radio on instead of TV to help with that.

9. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have constant eye pain - but it developed after being ill for about 10 years. Keeping in mind that I was still in my late 20s when it developed, so age might be a factor in the timing.

I too wonder why no one talks about it? I'd imagine it is a symptom that all severe patients have...

alktipping and ladycatlover like this.
  10. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Eyes " not working" is more a normal situation these days. It is related to energy and effort. Lack of sleep probably adds to this.

Pain related I think to muscle tightness ( as well as headache) as facial muscle tightness/ pain seems the norm.these days.

Optician noted that eyesight has deteriorated significantly over past 12 months and the area around the optic nerve junction looks more like that of a 40 year old.

ladycatlover likes this.
  11. Rain

Rain Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Get in touch with an Optician that work with specialized filter glasses. Maybe also worth a try to check if you could benefit from prism correction.

alktipping and ladycatlover like this.