1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Fluoroquinolones (including ciprofloxacin)

Discussion in 'Possible causes and predisposing factor discussion' started by MarcNotMark, Apr 15, 2018.

1. MarcNotMark

MarcNotMark Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-03267-5

Kitty, Mij, MEMarge and 20 others like this.
  2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I will go to my grave knowing that I did not have ME/CFS until three days after starting on a "skookum" dose of Penicillin. That is when my ME kicked in, and within the year, allergies and Chronic Sinusitis.

Ash, MEMarge, erin and 4 others like this.
  3. Thinktank

Thinktank Established Member

Same here. I was having some bowel problems and a few allergies and intollerances. I then was prescribed cipro for a misdiagnosed bowel infection and that triggered my ME. It made me sick as a dog and i wanted to stop using it but the physician kept pushing me i had to finish the course or she would drop me as a patient.
    I've never been the same since.
    Now i have no more life. Thank you.

Ash, Hutan, MEMarge and 5 others like this.
  4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Hi @Thinktank, welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear you have had such a devastating effect from this drug.

5. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There is a support/advocacy group
    https://floxiehope.com/
    I too think that Fluoroquinolones may have played a part in my getting ME.

Ash, Hutan, MEMarge and 3 others like this.
  6. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Welcome @Thinktank and great to see you over here. You know my story already but a neurotoxic reaction to Levaquin was the very beginning of my entire illness and the first trigger in a series of hits to my immune system. Hoping for the day that Levaquin is banned from the planet.

Ash, MEMarge, Invisible Woman and 3 others like this.
  7. Thinktank

Thinktank Established Member

@Trish , thank you.

@Gingergrrl , nice to see you here. Yup, your story is a prime example of the damage that these fluoroquinolones can achieve.

8. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I didn’t know fluoroquinolones caused psychiatric and sensory disturbances along with the physical problems. :arghh: Why on earth are they still allowed to sell them.

Perrier, MEMarge, Amw66 and 2 others like this.
  9. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Because they are an enormous money maker for Ortho-McNeil/Johnson & Johnson. They are one of the top drugs in the US (maybe worldwide, I am not sure) which shows that they are given out like candy if a drug that you take for seven days is given as frequently as a med that someone would take daily (365 days/year).

10. andypants

andypants Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not sure what kind of antibiotics were prescribed for me when I first got ill in 2006, but it was for two mycoplasma lung infections (following a strep infection, what a fun summer that was) which apparently is one of the most common uses of floxie.

MEMarge and Invisible Woman like this.
  11. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm611032.htm

12. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senior Member (Voting Rights)

13. James Morris-Lent

James Morris-Lent Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Levaquin is what got me out of severe cfs. Strange world.

14. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The MHRA (Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Authority) has now issued a formal warning to health professionals and introduced new prescribing regulations.

“Disabling, long-lasting or potentially irreversible adverse reactions affecting musculoskeletal and nervous systems have been reported very rarely with fluoroquinolone antibiotics. Fluoroquinolone treatment should be discontinued at the first signs of a serious adverse reaction, including tendon pain or inflammation.”
    MHRA Website Announcement – 21 March 2019

15. Lisa108

Lisa108 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Finally this is happening in Germany!

Although the guidelines already restricted the use of fluorquinolones in minor infections (like sinusitis, cystitis), most docs seemed not aware of this, nor of possible severe, chronic side effects.

Today the Federal Institute for Drugs and Medical Devices published their risk assessment and a "red-hand-letter" (urgent safety information).

The red-hand-letter also requests to report adverse reactions.

Hutan, Chezboo, andypants and 10 others like this.
  16. roller*

roller* Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oral fluoroquinolones and risk of fibromyalgia ... not found
    Received 22 March 2018; Revised 26 August 2018; Accepted 8 September 2018
    Correspondence Mahyar Etminan, Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, The University of British Columbia

https://bpspubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1111/bcp.13765

17. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

When trying to find out how long ciprofloxacin might last in the body, I came across this paper:
    https://www.hindawi.com/journals/isrn/2012/374212/
    Accumulation and Elimination of Enrofloxacin and Ciprofloxacin in Tissues of Shrimp Litopenaeus vannamei under Laboratory and Farm Conditions

It seems that Enrofloxacin is routinely added to the feed of shrimps, and other species farmed in aquaculture to control disease.

There's at least a couple of very good reasons there to find out the details of antibiotic use in the production of human food in an aquaculture system before consuming the products.

Perrier and paused_me like this.
  18. paused_me

paused_me Established Member

Regarding this post I want to share my results after SIX years of stopping Ciprofloxacin
    (The Polysorbate is from a drug I take daily)
    630753BE-9D7A-4686-AA5C-942CD70A9EA5.jpeg

19. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

That's interesting @paused_me. How credible is the test? 'Intracellular electrical capacity - in lymphocytes' - how does that work?

May I ask: Did a clinician order the test? How are they proposing to use the results?

20. paused_me

paused_me Established Member

Yes my GP ordered the test.
    Why I think it's somehow reliable - if not completely exact maybe - is because it shows high amounts of Ciprofloxacin and Polysorbat 80. I added other Parameters to check if it's reliable bc they are not of concern in my case and I wanted to see of only these two come out elevated. And they did.

andypants, Perrier and Hutan like this.