1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Front. Med Editorial: Current Insights Into Complex Post-infection Fatigue Syndromes ... ME/CFS & Beyond, 2022, Westermeier et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Kalliope, Feb 24, 2022.

1. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Editorial: Current Insights Into Complex Post-infection Fatigue Syndromes With Unknown Aetiology: The Case of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Westermeier, Lacerda, Scheibenbogen, Sepulveda

Conclusions
    In conclusion, this Research Topic collects further pieces of evidence about how various viruses including SARS-CoV-2 can trigger ME/CFS. The neglect of research in ME/CFS during the last decades has left patients, carers, and clinicians alike adrift without a licensed drug to use in the disease. On the one hand, the COVID-19 pandemic will result in an unprecedented explosion of ME/CFS cases. At the same time, this pandemic is the perfect storm that can motivate different stakeholders, including funders and clinicians, to take the necessary steps to accelerate research on ME/CFS and other post-infectious syndromes. If taken, these steps will bring hope to all those outstanding patients who have been homebound or even bedridden for many years but neglected by national health authorities.

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fmed.2022.862953/full

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2022
    Michelle, John Mac, Joh and 19 others like this.
  2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

That's a remarkable spread of countries noted in the associated organisations of the four authors: Austria, Chile, UK, Germany, Poland, Portugal. It's good to think that that conclusion paragraph above may be being heard in all of those countries.

Michelle, tmrw, Lilas and 8 others like this.