1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Full EBV screening Synlab. Anyone Italian?

Discussion in 'Laboratory and genetic testing, medical imaging' started by MMlifestyle, Jul 5, 2019.

1. MMlifestyle

MMlifestyle New Member

Greetings!
    My first post, of what may be many.

Please see the attached photo of a full EBV screening by Synlab. Unfortunately they only do this in Italy, and I cannot get the test at Synlab UK. Can anyone translate this please?

Is it possible to request such tests from the local GP? Does anyone know of any laboratories in the UK who carry out such detailed tests to keep an eye on EBV markers?

The last laboratory I found was in Spain, and the language was too much of a barrier for them to do the testing for me. This was over 7 years ago, probably more.

I was excited to find the test again, in a more tangible way, but only Italy??

Many thanks,

Attached Files:

DokaGirl likes this.
  2. Hubris

Hubris Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's mostly standard stuff. EBNA, EA VCA IgG for EBV (standard stuff, shows only if you had it in the past), CMV VZV HSV1,2 IgG (same as before), T cell panel. The only unusual test is the IL-2 soluble receptor.

DokaGirl and MMlifestyle like this.
  3. MMlifestyle

MMlifestyle New Member

Thank you. Please can you confirm which tests only show past EBV infection? Which tests show present EBV infection? What is the IL-2 soluble receptor?

DokaGirl likes this.
  4. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hi,what was the cost of testing

5. Hubris

Hubris Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm sorry but you're gonna have to google those questions, i don't have energy to answer. But the image you showed us doesn't have any test for active EBV infection

6. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If you have had EBV infection, as the great majority of people have, then none of these tests are likely to tell you anything useful. Levels go up and down due to noise in the profile of antibody production.

The main value of EBV tests is to establish whether a recent acute illness was EBV in someone who had no history of it and in that situation you get most useful information out of paired sera about two week apart to show a significant change.

TrixieStix and Trish like this.