1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Functional neurological disorder and multiple sclerosis: a systematic review of misdiagnosis and clinical overlap, Walzl, Stone et al, 2021

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Andy, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Open access, https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00415-021-10436-6

My bolding

Woolie, Obermann, Sean and 2 others like this.
  2. Sphyrna

Sphyrna Established Member (Voting Rights)

https://sci-hub.st/10.1016/S0140-6736(05)63920-7
    Is that the study by Poser that is referred to? I'd be hard pressed to even call that a study if we can't even look into the methodology used to diagnose CFS. He might've just replaced one misdiagnosis with another.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    MEMarge, Woolie, Sean and 4 others like this.
  3. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

That doesn't even begin to make sense. How can you have FND - which literally means you have neurological symptoms that are yet to be linked to any neurological disease process - when you have been diagnosed with a neurological disease whose pathophysiology is well understood! And don't tell me its because some of the person's symptoms don't "fit" MS. That's crazy, MS is so incredibly variable in its presentation, there's really no such thing as typical symptoms.

Why use two labels when one can do the job quite nicely?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
  4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From people who admonish the use of medical labels, no less. Almost as if it's not a sincere argument.

Michelle and Woolie like this.