1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Guardian: Long Covid is very far from ‘all in the mind’ – but psychology can still help us treat it - by Carmine M Pariante, April 2021

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Kalliope, Apr 27, 2021.

1. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The Guardian: Long Covid is very far from 'all in the mind' - but psychology can still help us treat it by Carmine M Pariante

- Carmine M Pariante is professor of biological psychiatry at King’s College London and editor of the blog platform Inspire the Mind

Quote:
    This point is particularly important in the context of CFS/ME and, more recently, long Covid. Offering lifestyle changes or psychotherapeutic approaches to these patients does not mean that their symptoms are “not real”. Medics routinely help cancer patients with these approaches every day, yet I never hear anyone accusing doctors of suggesting cancer is all in the mind.

There is also good evidence that all types of symptoms can be influenced by anticipation and beliefs, as has been demonstrated many times with the powerful placebo and “nocebo” effects. Being offered something believed to be positive (for example, an empty capsule that we believe to contain a medication) or negative (an empty capsule we believe to contain a toxin) will make our symptoms better (placebo) or, respectively, worse (nocebo). This is not snake oil for the gullible: these are biological effects based on measurable changes in the brain and the body, and can occur in everybody. This is why the standard evaluation of a novel treatment for any disorder – including the very real Covid infection – requires a comparison with a dummy treatment, so that our expectations, positive or negative, do not influence the results. This concept is particularly relevant in the context of the recent controversy around a Guardian article on this topic, and the response it has received.

Woolie, Hutan, Graham and 9 others like this.
  2. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Prof. Pariante has shared a link on Twitter. Research director dr. Signe Flottorp from the Norwegian Institute of Public Health liked it.
    There's a comment from dr. Nisreen Alwan:
    Thank you. This is an interesting article but in my opinion misses the point that it's not the patients who're seperating the "physical" & the "mental", it's the labelling, which in turn creates stigma and determines the resources invested in investigation, treatment & support...

Woolie, janice, inox and 12 others like this.
  3. Shinygleamy

Shinygleamy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Disingenuous, I'm sure he's intelligent enough to know exactly what the differance is. Cancer folks are not having their cancer treated with physchotheraputic approaches, they're having surgery and chemotherapy. M.e. folks are denied any treatments under the dogma that cbt, graded exercise will cure them. Furthermore the symptoms of M.E. and Long Covid mean these approaches can cause harm in these patients.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
  4. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Misrepresenting why we object to useless 'treatments' does not suddenly make those useless 'treatments' work.

5. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This point is made over and over again and whoever expresses it is always being dishonest, in my opinion. The whole notion just glides right past the issue that patients with ME, IBS, fibromyalgia have - that people with cancer get treated for their symptoms with physical resources, i.e. surgery, chemo, pain relief, and probably a few other things that I am unaware of. I wonder how many people with ME or fibromyalgia or IBS are tested for things like nutrient deficiencies or anaemia, or various forms of arthritis or lupus, or cancer? There is nothing to stop a person with ME from developing rheumatoid arthritis or lupus or cancer or hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism. But how many ever get these conditions diagnosed and treated promptly?

6. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Might be worth people sending in a letter. Remember shorter letters have a much better chance of getting published.

ukxmrv, Starlight, janice and 15 others like this.
  7. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They always try to move to to the 'all in the mind', psychological vs physical, etc narrative. It lets them avoid all the real issues and present critics of work like PACE as ignorant and unreasonable.

Woolie, janice, inox and 20 others like this.
  8. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Seems to me a lot of self justifying waffle. Just because psychological therapy can help cancer patients cope doesn't mean they are treating the cancer. He's deliberately missing the point. There is not evidence that psychological therapies can treat ME/CFS itself, any more than that it can treat cancer.

9. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

well, his much-hyped Hep C interferon study was also missing the point.

Woolie, ukxmrv, lycaena and 24 others like this.
  10. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I hadn't spotted that Nina Muirhead had published the linked letter (parallels with CFS/ME) with Carmine Pariante and Frances Williams last year.
    Although he (Carmine) seemed to have his "ME/CFS" hat on that day...

Sean, MEMarge, alktipping and 9 others like this.
  11. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Disingenuous manipulative snake oil. That they have to misrepresent the fact to make their point does not concern them is such a big part of the problem. They see nothing wrong with lying, and that's what makes everything they do wrong.

This is basically an advertisement for a jobs program that trades lives for mediocre careers. The hubris here is staggering, as is the reckless indifference for the consequences they create. But they never have to face them, so on they go destroying lives.

janice, Sean, JemPD and 12 others like this.
  12. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

There is something wrong with this argument.

I thought the point of placebo effects was that they aren't real biological changes, but are just people thinking they are better - as with the asthma experiment where the patients given sham acupuncture or dummy inhalers thought their breathing had improved, but testing showed only the group who were given inhalers containing the real drug actually improved when their breathing was tested.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3154208/

Similarly with other diseases - like debunked claims that positive thinking therapies had helped cancer patients live longer.

I am prepared to believe that psychological therapies may lead to some measurable biological changes, such as reduced (or probably in some cases increased) stress responses, but there doesn't seem to be any evidence that they have any effect on the disease being treated.

Is he shooting himself in the foot by claiming that psych therapies for ME/CFS and long Covid are as 'real' as placebo effect? If that's all they are equivalent to, why not stop messing with our minds and just give us dummy pills?

13. Esther12

I wonder if Monbiot has had open pushback from editors at the Guardian? Maybe things like this and the letters published as a more subtle form than that?

janice, Sean, JemPD and 11 others like this.
  14. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Arnie Pye, Sean, MEMarge and 5 others like this.
  15. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This would be an excellent posted retort in my opinion. All though I don't even think there is any evidence of psychological therapies ever leading to some measurable changes(yet)?

Starlight, janice, Arnie Pye and 5 others like this.
  16. Esther12

Lucibee, Arnie Pye, Sean and 4 others like this.
  17. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not that I'm capable of writing a letter but having read a few responses to this sort of nonsense I find the best responses incorporate answers to anticipated further responses while addressing what has been said. Wording needs to anticipate leaving no room for wriggling around again with their slippery language.

Also, I'd like to point out -- again -- that when the BPS throw out the suggestion that we are erroneously thinking they are using therapies that are 'for the mind' and therefore it is us who are treating disease as a dualist concept (mind illness and body illness) . . .

They should remember that none of them have ever once raised the issue with insurance or government that "mind illness' or mental health as it's known should have parity in terms of the social assistance that is given to 'purely physical illness'. One might be inclined to ask why that is? If as they now keep repeating (and the patient community has never denied) physical and mental health / illness are all one and the same.

Yet despite even their best most (manipulated) robust figures for the efficacy of CBT they have NEVER shown 100% of people improve. So what of all those who do not?

Well the CBT cabal has worked hard to ensure that they are variously blamed for not benefiting, ignored by the medical establishment or gas-lighted for being mean to therapists who are just trying to help.

Woolie, Starlight, janice and 12 others like this.
  18. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well, if BPS people like Pariente feel the need to respond to Monbiot by reiterating muddled arguments about placebos being good because you have to have placebo controls in trials then hopefully Monbiot will be encouraged to believe that the story sold him by the patient activists was spot on. Nothing like 'protesting too much' to blow your own cover chaps (when it comes to someone who can actually think).

Woolie, Sly Saint, Starlight and 23 others like this.
  19. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is there really hope in trying to reason with these people?

In my experience as a nurse, yes stress tended to worsen any chronic illness in the short term for some people. So did Christmas holidays and drinking a lot caused an increase in hospital admissions.

For me, the problem with the 'psychology is helpful' argument is that the help (%) is very over-estimated, over blown.

20. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The irony is that Pariente is really repeating Knoop and White when they said that CBT is really working as a placebo. The problem with that for White was that he claimed that placebos had no effect on ME, but that cannot right if PACE showed CBT effective and it is a placebo.

But the key thing is that the definition of a placebo is that it makes people say they are better but for reasons that have nothing to do with any mechanism that is specific to the modality of treatment. In other words if CBT is a placebo then it doesn't need to be CBT. A blue pill would do, or jumping on a piece of paper or cold baths.