1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Guardian UK article, Doctors could soon face action over ‘misleading’ social media posts, April 2022

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Simbindi, Apr 28, 2022.

1. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...ocial-media-could-soon-face-regulatory-action

2. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

That could cut both ways. What is regarded as 'misleading' depends on who has the power to make that call.

Good. Though enforcement could be tricky.

3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I fully assume that everything biopsychosocial will be excluded, as it's "not settled" yet. Even though it's "settled enough" to impose it coercively. And that it will actually be used against us, even though we actually have the truth on our side.

Good grief how medicine is political. And few of the good features of politics either.

EzzieD, Lou B Lou, Ariel and 4 others like this.
  4. DigitalDrifter

DigitalDrifter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I feel conflicted about this, I'm a strong believer in free speech but have also been a victim of the misinformation spread about ME by the medical profession.

I guess I would say they should not be fired for what they say via social media, however I would add that the GMC should be firing or disciplining doctors for the way they treat ME patients at the moment.

EzzieD, bobbler, Sean and 2 others like this.
  5. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From the article :
    I wonder if this will stop doctors and endocrinologists from telling patients that

1) T3 is just like heroin or cocaine or speed.

And the only reason so many women want to be allowed to have T3 is because

2) it's addictive and

3) it helps them get through their housework more quickly.

None of these things are true. And every vertebrate on the planet has T3 flowing through its veins, and that includes doctors.

https://www.msdvetmanual.com/endocrine-system/the-thyroid-gland/the-thyroid-gland-in-animals

EzzieD, bobbler, Sean and 1 other person like this.
  6. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I guess it depends whether they're speaking in their professional capacity or not. We can all witter on about anything we like as private individuals, but when we're on the clock, the rules change.

7. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Exactly Kitty.

And i think a factor is whether their twitter (or whatever) account is

'Joe Blogs 129'
    with a photo of him in a beanie hat with a rucksack, & the description reading "keen hiker & lover of red wine"

or

'Dr Joe Blogs MD'
    with a phot of him in white coat with stethoscope, with the description reading "professor of cardio thoracic medicine at BlahBlah University Hospital"

EzzieD, Arnie Pye, Trish and 2 others like this.