1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Hoover's Test

Discussion in 'Neurological diseases' started by ToneAl, Jan 16, 2022.

Tags:
  1. ToneAl

ToneAl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am trying to find more information on Hoover’s test.
    So the main question is it a valid test or a pseudo science masquerading as scientific like all the fnd theories.

2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think it is a valid test to the extent that all neurological signs are valid within reasonable reservations about interpretation.

The test relies on the fact that in order to move one leg you have to try to move the other one in the opposite direction to prevent the body just twisting off line. There are several signs of this sort. One is Trendelenburg's test which looks for loss of hip abduction on one side when the opposite foot is lifted off the ground during walking. If you do cannot abduct your body slumps across to the lifted side because of the loss of weight bearing. There is nothing you can do about it.

Another similar test is when looking for eye muscle weakness. If you suspect a paralysed VIth nerve with specific inability to move the right eye to look to the right you ask the person to look right. Paralysis is seen by the left eye moving and not the right. There will also be double vision. If someone had a functional VIth nerve palsy when ask to look right neither eye would move.But you could show that the left eye could indeed move by asking the person to focus on a very near object.

Lots of aspects of neurological examination make use of similar effects. In each case the reliability and interpretation is a bit different but it is all based on known neurophysiology.

FMMM1, alktipping, Wonko and 4 others like this.
  3. ToneAl

ToneAl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But my main question I should how can they interpret it a sign of conversion disorder given tht it has faals positives and some organic disease also show the sign