1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

How I Became a Sick Person—Ross Douthat NYT

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Jaybee00, Oct 24, 2021.

1. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
    Sarah94, DokaGirl, Helene and 4 others like this.
  2. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well, I don't know anything about him, but it is nice to see a bit of good Yorkshire pronunciation still going strong in NYC.

The full name's Douthwaite, but Douthat is how they used to say it in the East Riding. As with practically everyone else from that area, the name crops up numerous times in my family tree.

Mithriel, Louie41, chrisb and 7 others like this.
  4. think_that_it_might

think_that_it_might Senior Member (Voting Rights)

tho i have no opinion on the book, i always enjoy seeing ross douthat's name, as i usually disagree with him about everything and so immediately think 'don't dou that'

Michelle, Kitty, Louie41 and 3 others like this.
  5. 5vforest

5vforest Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yeah, I too am very surprised to find myself sympathizing with Ross Douthat, of all people.

a couple more excepts from the book have been published online. They appear to go into the alt-med world including unfortunately quackery like rife machines.

Maybe there is a way to funnel some of the attention from the book into more awareness and funding for research.

unfortunately my sense is that we are still at a complete impasse with chronic Lyme (or “post treatment Lyme disease syndrome” if you prefer.) and the only thing that can change this will be an advancement in science.

Jaybee00 and SNT Gatchaman like this.