1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

How is your motor control?

Discussion in 'Neurological/cognitive/vision' started by Alvin, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Mine is rather precarious. I manage but fine motor control is very hard for me. Also pretty dangerous, i don't use knives to prepare food because i will injure myself plus motor control is also very taxing.

Whats your experience?

andypants, AliceLily, rvallee and 3 others like this.
  2. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Overall ok, but I have experienced difficulties walking a straight line and bumped into walls many times over the years. I have no idea why this occurs.

andypants, AliceLily, MeSci and 3 others like this.
  3. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Mine is fair. I can still use knives. If I don't prepare food, no one will. I drop and fumble a lot of stuff - on the counter, on the stove, on the floor, on my clothes. :(

Angel27, andypants, AliceLily and 4 others like this.
  4. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Could be low vitamin B12. See this link for more symptoms :

https://www.b12deficiency.info/signs-and-symptoms/

@Alvin Note that one of the symptoms mentioned is Impaired fine motor coordination

Alvin and Mij like this.
  5. Alvin

In this case its also about balance and spatial orientation which are also affected in ME.
    I also bounce off of things these days and have trouble in small spaces, i'm in no way claustrophobic but its too hard to manage the motor control and balance and spatial orientation.
    I find the Romberg test is hard to manage, i can do a few seconds then have to actively hold myself up

I'm sorry to hear this :hug:
    I don't know if you live alone or have a family but i have to live with prepared meals and easy to prepare meals that don't use many sharp objects. Its easier to eat off a plate with a knife then it is to cut meat or vegetables on a kitchen counter.

In my case it is not, i take B12 sublingually and the blood tests show its very high.

andypants, Wonko, Arnie Pye and 2 others like this.
  6. Mij

My last b12 test (4 yrs ago) was down at 200, so I do have issues with low b12. I take supplements to keep my levels up.

I'm not sure it's b12 related because when my levels were normal I was still experiencing 'drop foot' and feeling an unsteady gait. It's weird how it just disappears on its own after a few days.

andypants, Wonko, Alvin and 1 other person like this.
  7. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

andypants, Wonko, Amw66 and 2 others like this.
  8. Mij

@Arnie Pye thanks, I am aware of this. I take my B's with folate and extra b12.

Arnie Pye, Wonko and Alvin like this.
  9. Alvin

pteropus and Arnie Pye like this.
  10. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You can have high blood levels but have a functional deficiency in using it. Folate as @Arnie Pye highlights is critical, as is the ability to recycle B12, both can be compromised by SNPs, which if expressed may cut down your ability to process folate/ B12 significantly. Perhaps a functional B12 test or an MMA test could help determine how much you actually use ?

andypants, Alvin, pteropus and 2 others like this.
  11. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm OK with motor control in general. OK with knives. Sometimes drop things, but not often.

andypants, AliceLily, Alvin and 2 others like this.
  12. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Very variable.

I've had long periods, years, were I couldn't even spread bread let alone prep veg. I initially used a food processor for that but having to clean it up every time, within minutes, was a problem. Now I just use frozen pre-prepared veg when I am unable to do it myself. Not as good but better than nothing.

A lot of the time if it doesn't need to be accurate and isn't terribly repetitive I can do it, but onions, I mainly gave up on them a few years ago and just use frozen.

I've had variable but significant intentional tremor for at least the last 2 decades (when it's bad it's bad), and whilst I have come up with various ways around it everything takes so long as is so exhausting when doing so. Now I mainly don't do things that require accuracy or co-ordination.

Of course sometimes/often this affects things like using a mouse or keyboard, to the extent that every few characters will be wrong, or I repeatedly can't click on what I am aiming for. Spellcheck can be quite useful (people probably wouldn't like to see what I actually type before correction), and at times I just have to give up trying to use a mouse.

13. Alvin

I am unaware of this test, is it something my GP can order?
    What is it called?

I don't drop a lot but fine motor functioning is mentally taxing to the point i need to stop thinking for a couple hours so i avoid it.
    Then again i do drop when i push, but chopping vegetables or meat is just too dangerous for me.

I'm sorry to hear this :(

Mine is unfizxed belwoi

I can do most things but once or twice, repetitive is askign for injury and some thigns are jsut too taxzing. Fr example i got some new insoes which are supposed to help my kjnee pain, my chiropractor cuth tem to fit in aobut 30 seconds. I was jsut in awe, for me tahat woudl take 10-15 mintues and hours if not more of mental recovery.

I get this too form overdoing it mostly. In PEM, pushign whiel PEMed or sometimes jsut mentally oversone will cause it for me

I am relatively ok on this but my spelling is pretty bas as well. FOr example i left this reply unspellchaked. I suspect in my case ifs neurological and not motor control related.,
    THen agfin who really knows, my bain is in bad shape nin general
    i feel li,ke an idiot posting liekl this but it gives a goos idea what me real tyoeling is liek

For owsme reason i keep thinkgin about ALS today

andypants, MeSci, Nellie and 4 others like this.
  14. Wonko

The annoying bit is in order to fix spelling accurate mouse control is needed lol

Today is apparently a good day

(Te annoyoing bit is in order to fix spelling accurate moust control is needed lol)

andypants, MeSci, Arnie Pye and 3 others like this.
  15. Alvin

:D
    I can do the mosue bit but i do make mistakes but i can teel the efects of teh nmouse usage ans repeated usage.

andypants, MeSci and Wonko like this.
  16. AliceLily

AliceLily Senior Member (Voting Rights)

To this day I still cannot write my full signature. It's shortened by half. I cannot keep the flow going. It began at my mild ME onset. I was still working and I noticed the change when writing my signature on my timesheet. I have to miss out about 4 letters of my last name. This was one of the earliest signs of change.

andypants, MeSci, Alvin and 1 other person like this.
  17. Alvin

I also notivcexc my hand writing got very difficul, i miss letters, often i jsut scrbibble it now.

@Wonko I am staring to likle this uncorrected typingm, i might jsut kep it dor this thread :woot:

18. AliceLily

AliceLily Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Wonko I am staring to likle this uncorrected typingm, i might jsut kep it dor this thread :woot:[/QUOTE]

@Alvin Lol, I'll never forget going out with a friend who also has ME. Her and I were a lot sicker than we are now. One particular day we both needed to get out for our own sanity but we were both too sick to even talk. Looking back I have to laugh at how we just sat there in our own sick worlds (that stunned mentally fogged state) It wasn't funny at the time but an example of ME and how it is for us.

She was great to have around, (now lives in another town :( but still chat on the phone) we used laugh a lot over coffee and it really helped me get through those years. I used to get home and feel so sick after those outings but mentally it was so worth it.

Edit: Don't know what happened to the quote, didn't work right.

19. Alvin

So glad to hear you ahd someone to spenf tioe with :hug:
    I greatly miss human contact but i do the best i can

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    andypants, MeSci, Wonko and 1 other person like this.
  20. Wonko

Most of the time I don't, but I accept that, as I am probably a mammal, it is necessary from time to time, to calibrate my mental processes and to rebalance various hormone levels.

People are social animals and need interaction, even if they don't like it, otherwise a certain amount of relative derangement is to be expected.

We are probably not really designed to operate without external interaction, things drift.

That a single person, on a planet, all on their own, within 100 years of their isolation, they give up, they stop breathing, their various internal organs stop working, maybe even decay/rot, they'll probably die, shows this quite clearly ;)

andypants likes this.