1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Hypnosis for wart treatment

Discussion in 'Other treatments' started by Jaybee00, Jul 14, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Lidia, EzzieD, Milo and 17 others like this.
  2. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And while you are hypnotized they cut off the warts and proclaim hypnosis to be a great success

EzzieD, ukxmrv, alktipping and 6 others like this.
  3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Academic research is broken.

4. Denise

Denise Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This seems obvious doesn't it? (Where IS that sarcasm font?)

Serious question - how on earth did this get funded?

Invisible Woman likes this.
  5. wdb

wdb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Jaybee00, Forbin, Hutan and 4 others like this.
  6. Denise

Denise Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Gulp! I had no clue.

If this is so, how many other viruses can we treat effectively with hypnosis?

Hutan, MEMarge, lycaena and 2 others like this.
  7. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for posting this. Here's an abstract for one of these studies (my bolding):
    Would be interesting to know if there was research that debunked these studies or that scientists simply ignored it over the years because the quality was too low.

Snow Leopard, Dolphin, Joh and 7 others like this.
  8. wdb

wdb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

9. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is clearly a mistake, a conflagration(?) of the 'hypnotoad' of urban legend with another popular urban legend that toads cause, and cure, warts has been morphed into - hypnosis cures warts.

MEMarge, Arnie Pye, Graham and 2 others like this.
  10. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So this nonsense has been "tried" many times, enough to span dozens of pages of search results... and someone out there is thinking: "hey, let's try that!"

The incentive system is completely broken. It's just a churn for the point of churning easy papers. Who the hell does that serve?

11. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

According to this article from Harvard Health, "Studies indicate that about half of warts go away on their own within a year, and two-thirds within two years..."

It's not clear from the abstract above how long the "experimental period" was, or how long each of the patients had had warts prior to "treatment," so it's conceivable that three patients from the hypnosis group simply "aged out" of their warts.

12. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

i had a large wart on the fore finger of my left hand for nine years i ended up digging its roots out with a sowing needle over a couple of weeks not as painful as you might think as the wart was not attached to any nerves.

13. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Funny you say that I had one on the side of the middle knuckle of my left index finger when I was a teenager. I didn’t fancy having that Strong salycylic acid I’d had When treated at school clinic for a persistent verruca. So I never mentioned it. I dealt with it by regularly biting off the hard skin and it would very slowly grow back. Lucky it didn’t seem to want to spread or I guess I could have ended up with one on my mouth but you don’t consider such things when you’re a teenager. I think it was very minimal for a long time but then bazuka was available so I zapped it’s last manifestation with that

if only I’d have had access to some hypnosis

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    MEMarge and alktipping like this.
  14. Daisybell

Daisybell Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was told once that you could warm up your hands/feet by imagining warm blood flowing to them....
    I’m ambivalent about whether this might be possible and i admit to having done this a few times when my feet have been particularly cold- but if it is, then is it possible that imagining tingling at the site of a wart might increase blood flow to the area and possibly stimulate an immune response???

MEMarge, alktipping and Forbin like this.
  15. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A Commonwealth Medical Officer my work sent me to actually recommended hypnosis for my ME.

I thought that this idiocy couldn't be topped but his psychiatrist colleague told me half an hour later that my ME was caused by being abused as a child (even though I told him that I wasn't).

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    MEMarge, Mithriel, Lidia and 11 others like this.
  16. Sid

Sid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What on earth...

Something's gone terribly wrong somewhere along the way in the medical arena.

MEMarge, EzzieD, Forbin and 4 others like this.
  17. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm not sure if it gets rid of warts, but if you chant her name in a darkened room, I'm told that you'll see a scary ghost named "Mary Warts" looking back at you from the "other side" of a mirror.

This apparently started as a game called "Bloody Mary." Somewhere along the line, the name of the ghost got garbled into the newspaper comic page character "Mary Worth," which, by the time it reached my grade school, had apparently been further mangled into "Mary Warts."

If I can find funding, I'll gladly conduct a randomized control trial to see if such chanting is an effective treatment for warts. Simply seeing the ghost will be counted as a null result.

18. Lidia

Lidia Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And yet hypnosis doesn’t confer the ability to fly or morph a claw from a hand. What am I doing wrong?

19. Sid

Sid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Speaking of warts & quackery, about 20 years ago I got one on my thumb. It was there for about a year and drove me insane with the constant urge to pick at it.

A friend saw it one day and told me her elderly mother had a plant in her garden that gets rid of warts. I was extremely skeptical but decided to humour her away. Anyhow, after applying it for a few days the wart began to dry up and shrivel and after a week or two it fell off and disappeared without a trace, replaced by completely normal skin. I was shocked to put it mildly. Placebo? Who knows.

20. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My dad put a shard of some silvery white crystallized substance into a wart of mine when I was a kid and the wart was soon gone. Why bother with hypnosis when it's so simple?

alktipping, Sid, MEMarge and 2 others like this.