1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

I got a virus, I didn't die, but I never recovered. Film for #MillionsMissing 2020

Discussion in 'Advocacy Projects and Campaigns' started by Gecko, May 10, 2020.

1. Gecko

Gecko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

#MEAction UK and #MEAction Scotland have created a film for #MillionsMissing this year. Really grateful to be able to include expert testimony from Professor Chris Ponting and Dr Nina Muirhead, and for the many video submissions from people with ME.

It was both fun, challenging and deeply moving to create this, and I'm really pleased with the final product. Saying 'I hope you like it' feels wrong, when the content is ultimately very sad, but I hope you will think it is powerful, and share it far and wide.

Watch the full version here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3Pd0o-rwrU

There is also a shorter version on social media that links to the full version.
    Facebook:

Twitter:
    https://twitter.com/user/status/1259518969205207040

TakMak, sebaaa, stuck and 40 others like this.
  2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Terrific, thanks to all of you who were involved.

3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Brilliant, very moving and very clear. Thank you to all involved.

4. lycaena

lycaena Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I like it very much, the film is touching. I will share it.

5. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Good film . I' ve forwarded on and have had good feedback from relatives and friends .

6. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Great work @Gecko (and team) :)

What would have made it even better would have been consistent sound levels all the way through but I understand that can be very tricky to get right.

7. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is fantastic – congratulations on a great job.

ahimsa, rvallee, Legend and 9 others like this.
  8. meg22

meg22 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I thought it was brilliant as well @Gecko - really powerful and moving for a short film. I just wished my GP would watch it!

I'm looking forward to the Sheffield virtual 'Millions Missing' event tomorrow.

ahimsa, MEMarge, Kitty and 6 others like this.
  9. Hell..hath..no..fury...

Hell..hath..no..fury... Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Lovely video. Does anyone have a link to the shorter video that doesn’t involve social media? Otherwise I can’t share it. I don’t use fakebook and twitter.

I want to share the shorter version with my small group of friends. They won’t watch it of course, but I can only try.

even if they did, the huge take-away they’d get from it is... ‘I might catch ME from Covid?’ That part would interest them :confused:

ahimsa, Kitty, Gecko and 2 others like this.
  10. Grigor

Grigor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you very much! Well done! ✌️✌️✌️

ahimsa, MEMarge, Kitty and 5 others like this.
  11. Gecko

Gecko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you all so much for such positive feedback
    Totally agree! So tricky when the submissions were of such varying quality. If you could listen to the originals you could tell what an impressive job our editor Ross did to get it to this point.

We're really trying to get people to watch the full version on YouTube, so haven't uploaded the shorter one there. Anyone can watch the shorter version on Twitter without needing an account though.
    Here's the link as text so you can copy and paste it if that's helpful.

Code:
    https://twitter.com/MEActNetUK/status/1259518969205207040

ahimsa, MEMarge, Joh and 9 others like this.
  12. Hell..hath..no..fury...

thank you :) I’m of the mindset a shorter version watched is better than a longer version ignored. I know people who won’t waste seven minutes of their life on this topic, and they know me. So if I can squeeze just 3 minutes into their selfish brains, it’s better than nothing :grumpy:

ahimsa, Joh, Kitty and 5 others like this.
  13. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you for this. I shared the 2 minute video. It made me cry :cry: it was so moving.

14. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

When the person said “I wish I could hold my head upright for most of the day”, I just found it so hard to watch because it was so close to what I’ve experienced and how I feel every day. Just that simple act of being able to be upright, and then being able to Watch TV or read or do hobbies or see people when upright. It’s something you take for granted until it’s not there. And when it’s not there, you cannot explain the loss to others. It’s so so hard.:cry::cry:

Amw66, stuck, ahimsa and 8 others like this.
  15. Hell..hath..no..fury...

I shared it with a group of 5. Three of them watched it. 1 said it was moving. The next one said she didn’t realise there were so many suffering, the next one copied what she said (not sure if either of them watched the actual video - they were probably just referring to my millions missing description title I gave with the link)

1 completely ignored it and replied with a Facebook link joke about ‘how intelligent is your right foot’ :banghead:

and 1 refused to watch it saying she doesn’t want to watch anything negative at the moment as she just wants to stay positive :banghead:

I tried. I give up (and that was the short version)

Can’t make people care :(