1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Implication of Covid-19 on Erythrocytes Functionality: Red Blood Cell Biochemical Implications and Morpho-Functional Aspects, 2022, Russo et al

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Kalliope, Feb 16, 2022.

1. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Moved post

International Journal of Molecular Sciences
    Implication of Covid-19 on Erythrocytes Functionality: Red Blood Cell Biochemical Implications and Morpho-Functional Aspects by Annamaria Russo et al

Abstract
    Several diseases (such as diabetes, cancer, and neurodegenerative disorders) affect the morpho-functional aspects of red blood cells, sometimes altering their normal metabolism. In this review, the hematological changes are evaluated, with particular focus on the morphology and metabolic aspects of erythrocytes. Changes in the functionality of such cells may, in fact, help provide important information about disease severity and progression. The viral infection causes significant damage to the blood cells that are altered in size, rigidity, and distribution width. Lower levels of hemoglobin and anemia have been reported in several studies, and an alteration in the concentration of antioxidant enzymes has been shown to promote a dangerous state of oxidative stress in red blood cells. Patients with severe COVID-19 showed an increase in hematological changes, indicating a progressive worsening as COVID-19 severity progressed. Therefore, monitored hematological alterations in patients with COVID-19 may play an important role in the management of the disease and prevent the risk of a severe course of the disease. Finally, monitored changes in erythrocytes and blood, in general, may be one of the causes of the condition known as Long COVID.

Spotted this via a tweet from prof. Kunst with the following comment:
    Red blood cells need to dynamically adapt their shape to facilitate flow and thereby oxygen supply throughout the body. A new review suggests that this ability is impaired in #LongCovid. Note: The same applies to #MECFS.
    https://www.mdpi.com/1422-0067/23/4/2171/htm
    https://meaction.net/2019/01/02/study-shows-that-red-blood-cells-are-stiffer-in-people-with-me/

Last edited: Feb 16, 2022
    Michelle, obeat, Hutan and 12 others like this.
  2. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for letting me know. It works for me, but if others get an error page as, well, let me know and I'll try to fix the link

ETA: No you're right! I just misunderstood which link you meant. Have fixed!

alktipping and Trish like this.
  4. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Many pwME have problems with low serum ferritin levels, it appears to be the opposite for pwLC.

alktipping and Kalliope like this.