1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Improvement Effects of Myelophil on Symptoms of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome in a Reserpine-Induced Mouse Model, 2021, Song et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Andy, Oct 15, 2021.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Abstract

Myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) is associated with various symptoms, such as depression, pain, and fatigue. To date, the pathological mechanisms and therapeutics remain uncertain.

The purpose of this study was to investigate the effect of myelophil (MYP), composed of Astragali Radix and Salviaemiltiorrhizae Radix, on depression, pain, and fatigue behaviors and its underlying mechanisms. Reserpine (2 mg/kg for 10 days, intraperitoneally) induced depression, pain, and fatigue behaviors in mice. MYP treatment (100 mg/kg for 10 days, intragastrically) significantly improved depression behaviors, mechanical and thermal hypersensitivity, and fatigue behavior. MYP treatment regulated the expression of c-Fos, 5-HT1A/B receptors, and transforming growth factor β (TGF-β) in the brain, especially in the motor cortex, hippocampus, and nucleus of the solitary tract. MYP treatment decreased ionized calcium binding adapter molecule 1 (Iba1) expression in the hippocampus and increased tyrosine hydroxylase (TH) expression and the levels of dopamine and serotonin in the striatum. MYP treatment altered inflammatory and anti-oxidative-related mRNA expression in the spleen and liver.

In conclusion, MYP was effective in recovering major symptoms of ME/CFS and was associated with the regulation of dopaminergic and serotonergic pathways and TGF-β expression in the brain, as well as anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant mechanisms in internal organs.

Open access, https://www.mdpi.com/1422-0067/22/19/10199/htm

Starlight, Peter Trewhitt and Kitty like this.
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Not only in mice, but mice with "Reserpine .. induced depression, pain, and fatigue behaviors". I'd suggest this study be taken with a huge pinch of salt.

Michelle, Milo, sebaaa and 10 others like this.
  3. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well, I've got Chinese sage in my garden, and I'm sure I've seen milkwort growing on the allotments...could make myself a small fortune!

4. Remain in Light

Remain in Light Established Member (Voting Rights)

I gave this a go last year with no discernable affect.
    Presumably the mice were given a subjective questionnaire which skewed the results in favour of the researchers, or should that be the business

Kitty, Michelle, Solstice and 8 others like this.
  5. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

These damn mice get all the research.

6. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

They must be better at filling in the questionnaires

cfsandmore, Wyva, Michelle and 4 others like this.
  7. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Even better than that, cut out the middle man (mouse) and the therapist fills in the questionnaire for them. I'm sure certain researchers I won't name would deem that much more scientific.

cfsandmore, Wyva, Michelle and 3 others like this.