1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Improving teaching about medically unexplained symptoms for newly qualified doctors in the UK - Yon et al 2017

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Sly Saint, Aug 20, 2020.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Improving teaching about medically unexplained symptoms for newly qualified doctors in the UK: findings from a questionnaire survey and expert workshop

https://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/7/4/e014720

I picked up on this from article in this thread
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/a-two-part-article-from-goodelf-on-mus.16373/
    part 2
    as far as I can find this is the relevant bit in the paper

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
  2. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

How can this category still be a thing? The MUS concept is so absurd.

(Sorry, I know this is obvious for anyone, just needed to vent :wtf:)

MEMarge, 2kidswithME, Willow and 5 others like this.
  3. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is no training better than providing misinformation?

4. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Yes @Peter Trewhitt as soon as I saw the title I thought best improvement would be stop the training, get rid of it altogether.

MEMarge, Hutan, alktipping and 5 others like this.
  5. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Got to get those baby doctors brainwashed at the earliest opportunity!

After all, doctors need an officially approved way of hiding and disguising their lack of skill in diagnosing anything.

Art Vandelay, Wits_End, Hutan and 5 others like this.
  6. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The ME Association, the UK all party Parliamentary group and the Scottish Parliament are doing some good work looking at Doctor/GP training in relation to ME, but so much needs doing.

Also @PhysiosforME are doing important work towards training Physios.

But in terms of MUS the battle for the soul of modern medicine still needs to be waged.

7. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My concern is that the forces will retreat from ME specifically but get their arms around MUS overall so it's a tactical loss but a strategic gain in the end.

MEMarge, 2kidswithME, Sean and 12 others like this.
  8. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They're just blatantly going to lie like that?

The real costs are the indirect economic losses from lying about sick people and abandoning them with no help or support, are massively larger than the poor state of medical care misused on us and are a direct product of this ideological nonsense pushing disinformation about things they know nothing about and are making up entirely out of their ass.

Improve this "teaching" by burning your medical license and never subjecting human being to your complete lack of judgment. These people would be all about the humors and other nonsense in another time, would have rejected the germ theory of disease as farcical. No human life should ever be determined by such mediocre misleading nonsense, let alone completely ruined by it. This is no different than arbitrarily dishing out life sentences over someone's astrological sign, completely immoral criminal negligence.

Sean, Hutan, Arnie Pye and 4 others like this.
  9. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Yep
    :confused:
    So, the suggestion is that doctors should respond to a medically unexplained symptom with 'appropriate explanations'. But, if there was a well-founded, evidence-based explanation for the report of the symptom, then it's either not a 'medically unexplained symptom' or the patient has just made the symptom up.

Umm, I don't think so.

10. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Probably best then that you don't read too many history books, because that is the historically 'normal' situation across the board. Not just in psych or medicine.

Yeah, that ain't gonna work. Not even for the medicos. :facepalm:

11. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

would all of this nonsense have gotten any traction if patients had a way to deny bad or lazy doctors any income .It seems this whole field is about giving doctors the excuse to both save money and their time whilst acting as a salve to their ego