1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Open International: Dr. Todd Davenport, PEM/PESE Activity Survey Study, Nov 2021

Discussion in 'Recruitment into current ME/CFS research studies' started by Andy, Nov 12, 2021.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Ravn, EzzieD, sebaaa and 10 others like this.
  2. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

After taking this I wondered if it's a consistency or memory test.

I thought it shows how hopelessly inadequate these questionnaires are (but please don't let this discourage you from taking the survey).

bobbler, shak8, cfsandmore and 9 others like this.
  3. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I started doing it but the questions seem to be only applicable to people who are in this moment suffering with PEM. If I had PEM right now, I certainly wouldn't be doing a survey.

That doesn't mean I don't get PEM.

bobbler, shak8, SNT Gatchaman and 6 others like this.
  4. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I though it was about relative performance across three dimensions - before ill, ill but on a good day, and today - I didn't read anywhere that it asked if you were experiencing PEM today.

Ravn, alktipping, Hutan and 2 others like this.
  5. Ariel

Ariel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I did it. It was confusing (I wasn't sure if that was intentional; the metrics were hard to parse and interpret and didn't map on to the way I think about activities) and my answers were roughly the same but inconsistent. I thought it may be trying to demonstrate that these kinds of surveys are unreliable.

6. Sly Saint

upload_2021-11-13_12-35-10.png

upload_2021-11-13_12-35-49.png

upload_2021-11-13_12-37-44.png

First question survey1

upload_2021-11-13_12-47-36.png
    upload_2021-11-13_12-48-46.png

upload_2021-11-13_12-43-43.png

which is when I get stuck.

can someone explain.

eta: its says 'you may have PEM' as though its a separate illness not a symptom.
    don't get it at all.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2021
  7. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I have just done it. It made no sense which suggests to me that it's trying to find out something different from what is says it wants to find out. I'm sure I messed it up, but that's part of the process of showing them it's flawed I guess.
    I think just go into it the best you can and they can see what results. You can email Todd to explain your questionns or difficulties if you want to.

8. Sly Saint

what? that crap questionnaires produce rubbish results?
    could have told him that.

9. Trish

Maybe worth sending him an email to explain our difficulties. I may do so when I'm feeling less crap.

Ravn, Peter Trewhitt and alktipping like this.
  10. Sly Saint

i've emailed him with link to this thread

11. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This questionnaire isn't about gaining data, it's a test-retest[1]procedure for testing the statistical validity of the questions, which in this case are to be used in a formalised questionnaire to help (?) people suffering from PEM. That's why it is in three parts - the middle bit is to provide a cognitive break between the two answer sessions, this saves having to ask people to come back and do the second test at some later time.

In parts 1 and 3 it's not the answers they are interested in, it's how the two sets of answers hold up when subject to various statistical analysis designed to test reliability of the question construct.

[1] https://www.statology.org/test-retest-reliability/ -

12. Trish

That is what I suspected was the case, but in that case, I think they need a longer time gap and/or more distraction in the middle section. And they also need questions that make sense to the respondents.

shak8, SNT Gatchaman, Ravn and 5 others like this.
  13. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, it does seem to be testing for consistency. It would be easy to cheat, by recording the answers, but that would defeat the presumed purpose of the survey.

I do wonder how useful the survey is though. I suppose if it shows that self-reporting isn't very reliable with even a small delay between doing it again, then follow-up self-reporting in a fluctuating condition some weeks after the first survey certainly won't be helpful (and can easily be biased by other factors).

But what if it showed that self-reporting with a break of a few minutes is reliable? Then it's not telling us anything about any sort of realistic situation where there are weeks in between. Nor does it tell us about surveys where the answers are on a Likert scale with only 5 or 7 options (it's a lot easier to consistently select those options than it is with a percentage sliding scale).

shak8, Ravn, Peter Trewhitt and 2 others like this.
  14. Trish

It also warns the participants that the will shortly be doing the same questionnaire again, so defeats the purpose as people will try harder to get the same answer including writing them down. I think to test consistency in a single sitting there should be no prewarning and the questions should be mixed in with other questions with sliding scales, and in a different order.

shak8, SNT Gatchaman, Ravn and 4 others like this.
  15. Ariel

Ariel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

To test consistency the questions should make sense. Part of the reason for answering inconsistently would be having trouble parsing the question and assigning a value in the first place due to poor framing/lack of correspondence with experience and picking the best thing. Hard to remember what you've done. This seemed like it was testing consistency. Doing a test about bad research questions in the same exercise as one about consistency makes little sense.

Sly Saint, Ravn, Hutan and 3 others like this.
  16. SallyC

SallyC Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well it could also be used as a cognitive ability test because I totally missed that warning! Just got confused why I was answering the same questions again. I'm very grateful to you all for explaining what's going on.

Ravn, Hutan, Peter Trewhitt and 2 others like this.
  17. Trish

Did it warn that the first time through you would only get to choose 3 options to answer? I thought it was going to work through the whole list, so did the first 3, one of which made no sense to try to answer. How can you say how well you can manage to lie down compared with when you were well?

shak8, Helene, Ravn and 3 others like this.
  18. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

:rofl:

SNT Gatchaman, Helene, Ariel and 2 others like this.
  19. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"Have you tested positive for EBV" etc... well no but there isnt an option for becuase i never been tested.

The way they ask you to select and activity that is 'important to you' is crazy ambiguous. I mean going to work is important to me, not been able to do it for 20 yrs but its still important to me. So is going to the toilet but i can usually manage that.

If they just want you to pick an activity they need to mae it clear whether they asking ypou to pick something you can do at your level of severity or just something you'd like to do because its important to you.

shak8, cfsandmore, Helene and 6 others like this.
  20. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Also the how often does symptom change questions, by the hour,day,wk,mnth, errr what about the measurements inbetween... its not by the hour but its not by the day either what are you supposed to put?

shak8, Helene, Ravn and 2 others like this.