1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Long‐COVID syndrome‐associated brain fog and chemofog: Luteolin to the rescue, 2021, Theoharides et al

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by Wyva, Apr 14, 2021.

1. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Abstract

COVID‐19 leads to severe respiratory problems, but also to long‐COVID syndrome associated primarily with cognitive dysfunction and fatigue. Long‐COVID syndrome symptoms, especially brain fog, are similar to those experienced by patients undertaking or following chemotherapy for cancer (chemofog or chemobrain), as well in patients with myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) or mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS). The pathogenesis of brain fog in these illnesses is presently unknown but may involve neuroinflammation via mast cells stimulated by pathogenic and stress stimuli to release mediators that activate microglia and lead to inflammation in the hypothalamus. These processes could be mitigated by phytosomal formulation (in olive pomace oil) of the natural flavonoid luteolin.

Open access: https://iubmb.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/biof.1726

2. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I tried luteolin, didn't do anything to help me.

3. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Fairly sure I came across it several years back - the problem, as I remember, the dose required to have any effect on a human would involve taking a small vans worth every 2 hours.

Possibly, that's what I remember anyway, but my memory of breakfast is a bit shaky ;)

ETA - ah - it's just a marketing paper