1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

#MEAction: NIH Update: Collins Will Meet With #MEAction Representatives!

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Kalliope, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

#MEAction: NIH Update: Collins Will Meet With #MEAction Representatives!

The persistent dedication of our community to fight for our lives continues to yield results. We are pleased to announce #MEAction has secured a meeting with Dr. Francis Collins, Director of the National Institutes of Health (NIH), to discuss the demands our community sent to him in a letter this past May. We are working to schedule the meeting, and will keep you posted on the date.

This meeting is a direct product of your efforts in May to advocate for our needs! We could not have reached this important step forward without your advocacy. As always, we are grateful to this community and honored to work with you! Together, our voices are a powerful force for change.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    Forbin, Barry, ahimsa and 27 others like this.
  2. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is excellent news.
    @JenB I hope your ready for anything during the meeting, i would expect him to claim they are already doing a great deal, they don't have funding, they are not getting applications and they have big plans and so on.
    I would suggest brainstorming everything he is likely to say (good and bad) and have answers and documents and refutations ready for them.
    Also i would expect empty promises, it may be worth asking for concrete numbers and dates. Also is this meeting recorded or otherwise on the record?

3. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Excellent, I too hope Jen or whoever goes can cut through the inevitable self justifying film flam that will be expressed. I begin emails listing what is being done and showing how it isn’t enough, unfortunately in email situation its still the case they just reply with what they’re doing which i have already said was insufficient.

ahimsa, Indigophoton, JaimeS and 3 others like this.
  4. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Happens to me all the time when I write to my MP here in the UK and they forward my point to the relevant minister. The minister (or rather, their work-experience assistant) sends me a form response listing what they're already doing, which was the very thing I was complaining about.

I agree that it would be good to come up with a strategy in advance to deal with this when it happens, which it surely will.

Indigophoton, Gecko, JaimeS and 3 others like this.
  5. Joh

Joh Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Amazing news! Thank you to everybody involved. :hug:

Will write about it in German. BTW I submitted German subtitles to the video back in May, but they weren't added yet. @JaimeS, could you (or somebody else at #MEAction) add them, it's just one click afaik. Would be great to have the subtitles before I post about it. Thanks! :thumbup:

Indigophoton, Lisa108, Hutan and 4 others like this.
  6. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Assuming given her current health status it is unlikely that JB will attend at least in person.

Barry, JaimeS, Sly Saint and 2 others like this.
  7. Alvin

I didn't know she is not doing well right now, my sympathies.

Barry, JaimeS, Binkie4 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The #MEAction statement is dated Sept 6th and gives a list of attendees headed by Jen Brea. I hope she is doing well currently and does not have to overstretch herself to attend this meeting.

It is a hugely important meeting that I hope she can attend but we don’t want our advocates to become more ill: it’s always a problem with this illness. We don’t know how much energy we have, how much juice is in the battery and how far we can extend ourselves. Jen has other health issues too- sending her good wishes.

Indigophoton, Mij, JaimeS and 6 others like this.
  9. NelliePledge

10. NelliePledge

11. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

“The meeting will include #MEAction Executive Director, Jennifer Brea, #MEAction’s Director of Global Community & Campaigns, Ben HsuBorger, activists Terri Wilder and Mary Dimmock, patient and scientist, Dr. Becky Taurog, PhD, and patient and immunologist, Dr. Rochelle Joslyn, PhD” ( quote from #MEAction letter)

Very sorry to read Jen Brea’s tweets. I hope she received some good news at Stanford.Obviously she is struggling with many diagnoses.

As far as I understand, they have not yet set a date for the meeting but the 6 people above were named as attendees for #MEAction. Very much looking forward to seeing the outcome. Can’t help feeling it is a big step.

Edit: quote marks around MEAction statement which wouldn’t copy and paste as usual

Indigophoton, WillowJ, Hutan and 7 others like this.
  12. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, I remember mentioning it. I'll go poke 'em again. :D

Joh likes this.
  13. JaimeS

Also, we changed the title on this, because I feared people would think "addresses" meant that he was ready to, say, address everything on our #MillionsMissing demands.

We hope @Jen will be able to attend in person, but as she has publicly stated, her health is not great right now.

14. Kalliope

Have edited the title to this thread and the link. :)

Hutan, Binkie4, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  15. Alvin

We can only hope that is what happens :)
    Perhaps its worth asking him what happened to the money that was supposed to be used but was usurped since 1989(?)

@Everyone
    Should we as a forum put together a get well card or something?

DokaGirl, Barry, WillowJ and 5 others like this.
  16. JaimeS

I'd delete that swiftly if you want it to be a surprise. :)

....it may not be possible to make that a surprise! :D

Barry, Lisa108, Binkie4 and 2 others like this.
  17. Alvin

Alvin and swift rarely belong in the same sentence :laugh:
    But it can be arranged, though how does one create a surprise on an open forum?

18. JaimeS

Exxxactly.

andypants, Lisa108 and Alvin like this.
  19. Kalliope

20. Sunshine3

Sunshine3 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

God Almighty the replies to his tweet...the infighting is so apparent, doesn't look good.

petrichor, Milo, Jim001 and 8 others like this.