1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Medical Education Webinar: Myalgic Encephalomyelitis - Diagnosis, Management and Current Research

Discussion in 'Resources' started by Arnie Pye, Mar 2, 2022.

1. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Title : Medical Education Webinar: Myalgic Encephalomyelitis - Diagnosis, Management and Current Research
    Date posted on Youtube : 6th December 2021
    Video description :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJioH_w807E

2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

approx 1 hour 15 minutes
    The webinar is aimed at doctors
    Moderated by Dr Teresa Clark - a physician of a 'complex chronic diseases programme'

Dr Nina Muirhead
    Her illness has become less severe, so she is able to work part-time now - good to hear
    Nina uses the 'complex' descriptor of ME - I do wish our advocates wouldn't use that word.
    Prognosis of 5% recovery is mentioned - I think it would be useful to explain that many people recover from the symptoms before the 6 months mark.
    Covers symptoms in a comprehensive way, emphasises the seriousness;
    Dismisses the idea that it's depression or deconditioning
    Covers CCC and IOM diagnostic criteria, and overlap with Long Covid symptom pattern
    The comment 'Be proactive about making a diagnosis - but keep looking for other diagnoses' was good

Disappointing to see unevidenced treatments included in the list of treatments such as Low Dose Naltrexone and B12, even though the heading on the slide is 'Conservative, pharmacological'. Mention of mast cell treatment - maybe there's something in that, I don't know, but it is unevidenced, and I think that should be said.

Forthcoming paper on the quality of life on patients and their family members. Impact on ME/CFS and Long Covid family members worse than in cancer.

Dr Lucinda Bateman (starts around 20 min mark)

Taking a break. I think this is shaping up to be a useful webinar for medical professionals. Nina's presentation was helpful, and Lucinda is a very clear presenter on ME/CFS.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2022
    Kalliope, alktipping, MeSci and 8 others like this.