1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Michael Sharpe skewered by @JohntheJack on Twitter

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Indigophoton, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Indigophoton

Indigophoton Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. large donner

large donner Guest

Maggie, Lisa108, Binkie4 and 14 others like this.
  3. Aimossy

Aimossy Established Member (Voting Rights)

John - Mic Drop!
    And we would all crowdfund @JohnTheJack

4. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

He's a good man. Sharpe is just embarrassing himself.

Joh, EzzieD, Invisible Woman and 7 others like this.
  5. JohnTheJack

JohnTheJack Moderator Staff Member

6. Diwi9

Diwi9 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sharpe seems to insinuate legal action whenever someone questions his actions. The irony is, a legal case would expose him to total disclosure of his prior funders and research alliances...giving the "activists" the desired information.

7. large donner

large donner Guest

The BPS crowd don't have a very good record in court, please see QMUL, Trudy Chalder etc. Bring on the libel claim.....try to jump out of the way when you shoot your own foot Mr Sharpe.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    Sarah94, Maggie, pteropus and 21 others like this.
  8. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Very therapeutic read, thanks JtJ excellent!

janice, Melanie, Binkie4 and 11 others like this.
  9. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Yes, you made my day, @JohnTheJack. Maybe twitter has some use after all!

10. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

have been enjoying retweeting and liking these, along with some of Mick's other howlers.

It's worth joining twitter if only for retweeting ME comments

janice, Melanie, James and 12 others like this.
  11. Liv aka Mrs Sowester

Liv aka Mrs Sowester Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I did that and somehow found myself retweeting screenshots of Nigel Farage talking about his online abuse on Sky News today.
    In retrospect I'm not convinced he really did say 'One lady told me my hair reminds her of that time she found a dead badger in a bin' or 'Someone said I looked like a police sketch of a sex offender made out of spam'.
    Twitter is a slippery slope guys.

12. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I really wonder if White was the only one of them who understood PACE. He was quick to bow out when he realised people weren't falling for the BS anymore. The rest of them seem to just be reciting White's spin, without really understanding it or its weak spots.

13. Daisymay

I think all the main protagonists know full well what they are about.

Maggie, Samuel, pteropus and 10 others like this.
  14. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Did he jump or was he pushed? His retirement was announced shortly after the tribunal, as was that of the vice chancellor of QMUL. No idea whether the 2 were connected, but I don't suppose the governors of QMUL were best pleased at the waste of money on the tribunal, or the reputation damage.

NelliePledge, AR68, Melanie and 7 others like this.
  15. large donner

large donner Guest

I was thinking about that earlier, but surely by now with all the obvious critiques Sharpe must get it. He is the one afteral who keeps telling people to read papers.

Maybe he is just easy to goad and cant stay off twitter just like Trump. Maybe he thinks it doesn't matter what the truth is, he is so sure the establishment will just continue to whitewash it all for him and the people in his club.

Afteral governments have told bigger lies than this and for much longer.

pteropus, Woolie, janice and 14 others like this.
  16. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is epic, well done!

An empty threat designed to make us go away (but failing)?

17. Daisymay

Yet again, no COIs mentioned for Sharpe, White or Chalder, in this 2006 publication, "NHS Plus Occupational Aspects of the Management of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: a National Guideline "

Pages 3-4 lists those involved in producing the document.

Sharpe and White were external assessors, Chalder was a guideline development group member, as was Chris Clark, CEO of AfME who were at this time actively involved with the PACE trial and in receipt of a large DoH grant.

On p4 at the end of the list of those involved it states "Conflicts of interest: none declared"

They should be declaring all their COIs full stop but especially for a document which is "intended to assist occupational health professionals, managers and other interested parties in providing advice on fitness for work in employees with CFS."

It appears as if members of the BPS fraternity think it is OK to pick and choose when to declare their COIs.

From the executive summary:

http://www.nhshealthatwork.co.uk/images/library/files/Clinical excellence/CFS_full_guideline.pdf

Executive Summary

Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is a medically unexplained illness characterised by severe, disabling fatigue and other symptoms. Although there is a large body of research into CFS and its treatment, few studies have looked at the employment outcomes of individuals with CFS. This review summarises current evidence and is intended to assist occupational health professionals, managers and other interested parties in providing advice on fitness for work in employees with CFS.

Suffolkres, Maggie, pteropus and 25 others like this.
  18. Indigophoton

19. large donner

large donner Guest

I've only just realised Sharpe was responding to Peter Tatchell here in the original tweet, not John Peters. What was the tweet that prompted Sharpes respone to Tatchell?

20. Indigophoton