1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Monkeypox

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Mij, May 18, 2022.

1. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Arnie Pye, oldtimer, Wyva and 3 others like this.
  4. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Why is monkeypox spreading at an accelerated rate now?

I've read that the initial genomic analysis suggests that the increased transmission of the monkeypox virus is not due to mutations of the virus. Is SARS-2 causing immune suppression that favors transmission of the monkeypox virus?

oldtimer, merylg and Wonko like this.
  5. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It would seem to be awfully coincidental if it wasn't connected somehow.

Wits_End and merylg like this.
  6. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I’m old enough to have had the smallpox vax as a child so have less to be concerned about for a change.

7. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

8. perchance dreamer

perchance dreamer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

When I first heard about monkeypox recently, I thought, really? Are worries about climate change, pandemics, racism, misogyny, gun violence, the toppling of democracies, and inflation not enough? Must we also deal with a new catastrophe? My anxiety closet is already bulging.

But from what I've read, there isn't a lot to worry about presently although we need to keep informed about the current monkeypox cases amid questions about its transmission. I was relieved to read that the smallpox vaccine many of us had as children offers a good bit of protection since it lasts a long time. But I do wonder how long. The article I read said people have good antibodies even 50 years later. I had my smallpox vaccine longer ago than that.

It is reassuring that the U.S. has so much smallpox vaccine stockpiled, but there would need to be plenty around the world if smallpox vaccines for monkeypox were recommended.

shak8 likes this.
  9. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Some people seem to be concerned that this might be a new pandemic, following on from Covid-19. I'm not, but am I the only one being uncomfortably reminded of the (apparent?) start of the AIDS epidemic?

Arnie Pye, Sarah94 and oldtimer like this.
  10. perchance dreamer

perchance dreamer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I really hope that monkeypox does not become an excuse to further stigmatize the gay community. From what I've read, the transmission of these recent cases is thought to be from close contact, such as when people have sex. It's not conclusive that's it's being transmitted by gay sex.

11. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Quite. Although a significant number of the cases do appear to have been in that community, at least in the initial stages. Not sure what the situation is now.

12. Mij

13. Mij

Also reading that there are several outbreaks of Polio in Pakistan and first case in the U.S in over a decade.

Arnie Pye, NelliePledge and Amw66 like this.