1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Netdoctor: CBT: how cognitive behaviour therapy works

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by John Mac, Feb 6, 2021.

1. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.netdoctor.co.uk/healthy...tive-therapy-and-cognitive-behaviour-therapy/

My bolding

2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

A superficial article that seems to be little more than a sales pitch for CBT.

3. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My rule of thumb -the longer the list of things something is supposedly good for the less effective the treatment is likely to any for any of them.

Why not just say it's the secret to eternal life (or earnings for the therapist) and be done?

Woolie, obeat, EzzieD and 10 others like this.
  4. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

It's interesting that the website has differentiated between 'treating' and 'supporting'.
    This is in line with the draft NICE ME/CFS guidelines I guess. Whether most people will appreciate the difference, I'm not sure.

Perhaps, the easiest route to getting this Netdoctor entry to be less harmful to people with ME/CFS is to get them to add other long term conditions to the list of diseases supposedly supported (but not treated) by CBT e.g. cancer, MS, Parkinsons.

Snow Leopard, Woolie, EzzieD and 6 others like this.
  5. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Ha