1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Neuroinflammation/PET research out of Japan

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by Diwi9, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Diwi9

Diwi9 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just wondering if anyone has seen these papers and has access to them. Stork delivered this to my inbox today and they look interesting. I keep waiting for a thread to pop up!

ETA: I've deleted the links in this original post as moderation received notice that they are broken. Abstracts of the articles are listed down below in this same thread.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
    WillowJ, Hutan, healthforall and 15 others like this.
  2. hixxy

hixxy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They'll all be in Japanese even if someone can access them.

Invisible Woman and MEMarge like this.
  3. Diwi9

Diwi9 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:( Thanks @hixxy...you are so good about posting new articles.

MEMarge likes this.
  4. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This looks like a conference proceedings, probably a set of reviews of previous data mostly, for the benefit of a Japanese society.

5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Interesting to see Komaroff collaborating on the last one on the list.

Here's the version on Pub Med. As you'll see, it's an outline of current biomedical findings, the full article is in Japanese.

Brain Nerve. 2018 Jan;70(1):41-54. doi: 10.11477/mf.1416200948.
    [Neurologic Abnormalities in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: A Review].
    [Article in Japanese]
    Komaroff AL1, Takahashi R, Yamamura T, Sawamura M.
    Author information

Abstract

Myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) is an illness characterized by fatigue lasting for at least six months, post-exertional malaise, unrefreshing sleep, cognitive impairment and orthostatic intolerance. ME/CFS has been a controversial illness because it is defined exclusively by subjective complaints. However, recent studies of neuroimaging as well as analysis of blood markers, energy metabolism and mitochondrial function have revealed many objective biological abnormalities. Specifically, it is suspected that the symptoms of ME/CFS may be triggered by immune activation - either inside or outside the brain - through release of inflammatory cytokines. In this review, we summarize potentially important recent findings on ME/CFS, focusing on objective evidence.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  6. Trish

Edit to add: You're right @Jonathan Edwards, they look like an overview rather than new research, but it's interesting to see what is going on in research in Japan.

The first one on the list suggests there has been a focus recently in Japan on getting diagnostic criteria sorted out, but doesn't say what they are.
    [Diagnosis and Treatment of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome].
    [Article in Japanese]
    Kuratsune H1.
    Author information

Abstract
    We present here the Japanese clinical diagnostic criteria for myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) that were proposed in 2016 by the Japanese Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare study group. The clinical diagnosis criteria of ME/CFS were created to be used by healthcare agencies in charge of primary care practice. We also explain the current prognosis in ME/CFS and medical treatments used in major medical institutions in Japan.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    adambeyoncelowe, Hutan, Inara and 5 others like this.
  7. Trish

An interesting observation from the history abstract. They say the first patients with ME in Japan was diagnosed in 1990.

This one actually mentions a research finding:

[Neuroinflammation in the Brain of Patients with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome].
    [Article in Japanese]
    Nakatomi Y1, Kuratsune H, Watanabe Y.
    Author information

Abstract
    Myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) is characterized by chronic, profound, disabling, and unexplained fatigue; cognitive impairment; and chronic widespread pain. By using positron emission tomography, our study demonstrated neuroinflammation in the brain of patients with ME/CFS. Neuroinflammation was found to be widespread in the brain areas of the patients with ME/CFS and was associated with the severity of their neuropsychological symptoms. The ongoing research would lead to the establishment of objective diagnostic criteria and development of an appropriate therapy.

8. Trish

And this one suggests there is some biomedical research going on in Japan but doesn't give the results:

[New Diagnostic Biomarkers for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome].
    [Article in Japanese]
    Yamano E1, Kataoka Y.
    Author information

Abstract
    Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is a persistent and unexplained pathological state characterized by exertional and severely debilitating fatigue, with/without symptoms of infection or neuropsychiatric symptoms, and with a minimum duration of 6 consecutive months. The pathogenesis of CFS is not fully understood. There are no firmly established diagnostic biomarkers or treatment, due to incomplete understanding of the etiology of CFS and diagnostic uncertainty. We performed comprehensive metabolomic analyses of blood samples obtained from patients with CFS and healthy controls to establish an objective diagnosis of CFS. Here, we review previous findings concerning the immune, endocrine, and metabolic system in animal models for CFS and the patients, and present our results which may contribute to the development of a diagnostic biomarker for CFS.

adambeyoncelowe, Hutan, Inara and 4 others like this.
  9. Trish

The immunopathogenesis one talks about cytokines and rituximab, but they don't seem to have caught up with the news that rituximab failed its stage 3 trial.

10. Jonathan Edwards

I think this is the PET study from a couple of years back. Very interesting but still waiting for replication.

MeSci, adambeyoncelowe, Hutan and 6 others like this.
  11. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had thought this was the replication PET scan study as it was published on Facebook !! Very disappointing if it isn't. The same Japanese team are doing a large replication study of the 2014 one, I'm so disappointed this now looks like it might not be that, I've told family too :-(

Inara, adambeyoncelowe, Hutan and 3 others like this.
  12. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

13. Jonathan Edwards

Does anyone read Japanese? I think it unlikely that a group would release major new findings in Japanese but it is possible.

14. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Do these researchers ever attend conferences in the US or Europe (including the UK)? If this is good research it would be great to have them conflabbing with everybody. Could they be invited to the IiME conference/colloquium?

15. Marco

Marco Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't know if its a 'cultural' thing where we focus more on the anglophone sphere or perhaps we have in the past paid more attention to what we see as the 'star' researchers in the field but what I thought was one of the most important pieces of ME/CFS research published in the last few decades (not least because it identified discrete sub-groups using objective measures) was largely ignored as far as I can see despite being published in English :

https://www.researchgate.net/public...anese_Childhood_Chronic_Fatigue_Syndrome_CCFS

adambeyoncelowe, Inara, Amw66 and 4 others like this.
  16. Cheesus

Cheesus Established Member (Voting Rights)

Google Translate can handle PDF documents, if someone can get their hands on the study. Sci-hub is a dead end on this one.

17. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Any updates on this?

Inara likes this.