1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

United Kingdom: Scotland NHS Lothian ME/CFS clinic

Discussion in 'UK clinics and doctors' started by Amw66, Jul 17, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As I said in another post, Sharpe was based at Edinburgh university when the PACE trial was started and he published the first paper on FND in collaboration with Jon Stone who is still there. His views will have infected the whole department.

I may be wrong but I seem to remember than some of the PACE data came from Lothian.

2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The tweet is no longer available

Peter Trewhitt, Amw66 and Milo like this.
  3. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Fascinating. Now they will operate in the shadows...

4. obeat

obeat Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There's a cardiopulmonary doctor in London who's an expert in exercise physiology. I've tweeted him some stuff and he retweeted Mark Guthridge thread on exercise physiology. He's aware ME could be a consequence of LongCovid.

5. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Chris Ponting's GWAS study might provide some clues - yes it takes too long---.

MEMarge, Invisible Woman and Perrier like this.
  6. PhysiosforME

PhysiosforME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

already on it! ;)

Hutan, MEMarge, Sly Saint and 11 others like this.
  7. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

I don't trust the phrase "tailored to the individual". As usual, when words and phrases are used by the BPS crowd whatever meaning they used to have masks a new interpretation, and we are permanently playing catch-up. If a therapist decides that this individual patient needs GET, then they have offered a service tailored to the individual patient. The therapist, having applied their knowledge, skill and experience to the question, decides that the best treatment considering all the individual patient's circumstances is GET. The phrase "tailored to the individual" becomes meaningless if the individual solution the therapist offers is based on the willful blindness and delusional thinking that is the BPS paradigm. Homeopathic remedies are tailored to the individual. So what?

So excuse me for not being reassured by the phrase "tailored to the individual". I expect in too many cases the treatment will be tailored to the individual therapist and their interests or sheer ignorance.

8. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Given Afme publicly confirmed that this proposed service did not have their support , and the tweet was removed, did you manage to find out anything about this?

9. Amw66

Posting this link here , but can be moved.Apologies, I am in a rush for an appointment .

Wessley ' s role in the CFS / ME debacle in Scotland, which seems to have had an impact

Probably similar to come re NICE

https://jnnp.bmj.com/content/85/2/214

10. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Simbindi, Peter Trewhitt and MEMarge like this.
  11. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Perhaps that is an impossible task, in which case it is essential that we recognise and acknowledge when the process has failed in order to ensure that the media, health service planners and, most important of all, patients are given a fair representation of the evidence base. After that, they can make up their own minds

If that is the conclusion of that Smith and Wessely paper, as it seems to be, it is not clear that the preceding argument or discussion leads naturally to it, nor what the practical implications would be.

Simbindi, alktipping and MEMarge like this.
  12. PhysiosforME

PhysiosforME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I will check with the others - it's been a hectic couple of weeks at work and I am not totally up on where we are with everything!

MEMarge and Esther12 like this.
  13. Amw66

Thank you.
    ME Action are looking into this too.

The weird thing is that if it is historic , why would it be teeeted now ?

Simbindi, PhysiosforME and MEMarge like this.
  14. Ben McNevis

Ben McNevis Established Member

It's been ongoing for years
    ME Association complacency and A4ME complicity ?

Jon Stone, Son of Sharpe is prefixing many syndromes with "functional"

https://pn.bmj.com/content/9/3/179

15. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is like a giant cartoon mouth swallowing all of medicine.

Ben McNevis, Peter Trewhitt and Trish like this.