1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

New Symptoms- anything to be concerned about ?

Discussion in 'Cardiovascular and exercise physiology (CPET)' started by Amw66, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hi
    Not knowing what is " normal" within ME and what should be concerning is something that i find this forum helps significantly, particularly when i am not the one affected.

My daughter has had changes/ additions to symptoms which i am trying to understand better but struggling.

If anyone can let me know if this is something common and explainable, or should be bottomed out with GP it would be appreciated. I feel many people put things down to ME when it may be something else. We have .GP who will listen do are very fortunate.

Racing heartbeat feeling - but no actual racing heartbeat on fitbit type device this is happening when at rest. ( Note that just before going to sleep she usually has a spike in heartrate - i don' t know if this has anything to do wwit anything) When she has overdone things we get an increase in heartrate.
    Adrenaline/ hormonal ? It is unsettling for her.

Sleepless nights the day before and the day after her period ( for the past 3 months)
    Is there a hormonal mechanism for this?

The only change s to supplement regime is the addition of beta glucan , which seemed to inflame eczema for a couple of days ( not uncommon reaction) but ok now.

2. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Probably best to let a doctor look at it, but you can't trust wrist HR monitors to catch everything.

It could be hormonal, recently I've started getting the sensation when trying to get to sleep, that my HR is high, above 160bpm, and erratic, when checked using my phones HR monitor it's half that, actually lower than normal.

If you're suspicious of a supplement and it's not essential to your aims, then knock it on the head for a few days and see if things improve.

It could really be a lot of other things, or nothing, so it is best to ask a health professional.

Odd random weird stuff is par for the course with ME, but if this is the first time this particular symptom has occurred and it bothers either of you then get it checked out.

3. andypants

andypants Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I always sleep horribly the night before the first day of my period and the night after. I think it's a combination of hormones and that these are the nights with the worst cramps. I never had this problem before ME, but I guess my sleep is more easily affected now. I also can't do what I would before to get rid of the cramps, like going for a run or taking a really hot bath.

I am careful with painkillers, but on those two nights every month I take whatever I need to to sleep. I usually take prescription level Ibuprofen (4-600 mg) + Paracetamol (1 g) before bed and often once during the night as well, sometimes during the day too. It works well for (period) pain and sleep.

Could it be a blood sugar issue? I find a small portion of protein can help, especially before bed. Like a hard boiled egg or a small handful of almonds. I would ask a doctor to be sure it's nothing more serious.

Edited for clarity.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  4. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for getting back so quickly.
    Thanks for getting back so quickly:)

5. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes!

Increase in serotonin
    Drop in progesterone: estrogen ratio

I noticed this REALLY early in my illness experience. PM me if you'd like to discuss further.

andypants, Amw66 and Wonko like this.
  6. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is not specifically about sleep but this chart shows that the menstrual cycle does make symptoms worse in many ME patients

TK Tweet Hormonal Events in MEcfs.png

(click to enlarge image)

link to tweet
    Code:
    https://twitter.com/TomKindlon/status/1094380384593330178
    More detail in this post - https://www.s4me.info/threads/onset...ndrome-2019-chu-et-al.7691/page-2#post-143017

Hutan, andypants and Amw66 like this.