1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

New Zealand: 2022 Petition for the NZ government to recognise ME/CFS as a disability - deadline 29 August 2022 (people living outside NZ can sign)

Discussion in 'Petitions' started by SNT Gatchaman, Aug 9, 2022.

1. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2022
    alktipping, ukxmrv, Ravn and 6 others like this.
  2. SNT Gatchaman

alktipping, Ravn, Lilas and 5 others like this.
  3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

@SNT Gatchaman, or anyone
    Associated Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Society Incorporated
    Is that ANZMES or another organisation??

4. SNT Gatchaman

5. SNT Gatchaman

Many thanks to those who've signed already. Now over 1700 after two days, closing 29 Aug. Would be quite something to get to 10K.

alktipping, ukxmrv, Helene and 7 others like this.
  6. SNT Gatchaman

Ariel, RedFox, alktipping and 5 others like this.
  7. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

8. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I’m grateful to anyone who puts themselves forward for a media interview. But in the video clip, the wording seemed to give the impression the extra expenses were holistic health therapies like massage and acupuncture, which some might consider non-essential.

9. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Have written to request a change of headline and also suggested a few options for replacing the link to the NIH with a NZ source.
    Yes. I considered mentioning the video in my email but chickened out. Didn't feel comfortable criticising another patient. But you're right, the video is misleading. Whether that's more due to editing or more due to the patient not having enough awareness of how the things we say can get (mis)interpreted by viewers is hard to say. It should be the job of journalists to ensure sensitive coverage of stigmatised illnesses rather than the job of every patient brave enough to step forward to have to undergo media training first.

10. Helene

Helene Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Signed. Very easy. Takes about 2 seconds to do.

11. Hutan

Yes, it is very easy. And the petition is very straightforward in its request.

Up to 2758.

This is all of the text that is part of the petition.
    Does anyone have a link to a list of health conditions that are classified as a disability in New Zealand, and specifically what benefits reclassification might bring?

I agree that that segment of the message was a problem in what was otherwise a good video clip. I think ANZMES and other patient organisations have a role to play in preventing statements like that. Sick people desperate to be well and with no medical background should not have to do the heavy lifting when it comes to trying to work out whether acupuncture or yoga or massage are going to be useful treatments.

ANZMES currently provides a link to Dr Ros Vallings' guide on management of CFS
    https://anzmes.org.nz/what-is-me/frequently-asked-questions/
    Dr Vallings' advice includes acupuncture, and massage and yoga:
    I got bored copying lines, but that advice is chock full of patronising statements that are unsupported or disproved by evidence.

If ANZMES' medical advisor is saying this rubbish, how can we expect people with ME/CFS to know better? ANZMES seriously needs to get its house in order. There's other bad stuff on the website, for example, to support a statement that ME/CFS is not psychosomatic, they give a link to a video on the metabolic trap theory. ANZMES is multiplying the misinformation out there rather than correcting it.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2022
  12. Ravn

Haven't been able to find anything conclusive but the fact that these organisations are listed on this page would suggest these conditions are classed as 'disabilities'. MS is on the list so that would make a good argument that ME should be, too.
    https://whaikaha.govt.nz/assessment...ind-disability-information-advisory-services/
    As for the benefits of a reclassification, the ANZMES page explains it a bit better than the petition text.
    ANZMES: https://anzmes.org.nz/petition-disability/

I know of people who have one family member with ME and another with a recognised disability and they report that they get more support for the latter even if the pwME has higher needs.

In the long term there's a push for ACC to be reformed to cover all impairment irrespective of cause but this could take decades to implement if it ever happens.

13. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Signed:thumbup:

Ariel, Ravn, Lilas and 4 others like this.
  14. Hutan

It's a bit better, but it still doesn't link to a government page that lists specific health conditions that automatically get better treatment. I think the petition is worth signing, but someone must have that information in order to feel that a petition is worthwhile. I think ANZMES, as the petition organiser, should be specific about where they want ME/CFS to be listed.

From that ANZMES page that Ravn linked:
    No, they are currently disseminating information that is not evidence-based. With them endorsing the use of acupuncture and advice that essentially amounts to GET, they are not acting as my voice.

Ariel, MSEsperanza, Ravn and 5 others like this.
  15. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Ariel, Hutan, Ravn and 1 other person like this.
  16. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Signed!

Ariel, Ravn, Lilas and 2 others like this.
  17. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Done. :thumbsup:

Ariel, Ravn, Lilas and 2 others like this.
  18. Hutan

I'd be surprised, as it lists all sorts of disabilities including "stress". Also, ANZMES said that the reclassification would enable people with ME/CFS to access help with housing costs and home help. The Disability Allowance doesn't cover that, it's mostly related to the costs of going to the doctor and prescriptions. Maybe there is another list that suggests that certain disabilities should be regarded as permanent. I've tried googling a bit, but didn't find anything.

If ANZMES was very specific about what they wanted, it would increase the chances of things changing in the right direction.

Ariel, Snow Leopard, Ravn and 6 others like this.
  19. Ravn

1 week to go. Currently 4953 signatures.

Lilas, Hutan, RedFox and 1 other person like this.
  20. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/he...isappointed-officials-wont-reclassify-illness

Ariel, Laurie P, Ravn and 5 others like this.