1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Norwegian reference data on the Fatigue Questionnaire and the Patient Health Questionnaire-9 and their interrelationship, 2020, Dahl et al

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Dolphin, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1186/s12991-020-00311-5
    Norwegian reference data on the Fatigue Questionnaire and the Patient Health Questionnaire-9 and their interrelationship

Alv A. Dahl1,2* , Kjersti Støen Grotmol3, Marianne Jensen Hjermstad3,4, Cecilie Essholt Kiserud1
    and Jon Håvard Loge3,4

2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Table 3 Prevalence of chronic fatigue (95% confidence intervals) according to sex and 10-year age group I 1996 and 2015
    Prevalence of chronic fatigue (95% confidence intervals) according.JPG

Michelle, Barry, ukxmrv and 3 others like this.
  3. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

I'm figuring this is not really an outcome as such, just a report on what the "normal" bounds are on these scales at the present time. For use when deciding whether any given individuals or subset are outside normal bounds.

Because obviously, these are self-report tools, so they don't measure absolute rates of anything, only how people rank their own experience relative to some internal mental model. And the way we self-assess, the mental models we construct and use as "standards" and the way we compare ourselves to others are all factors that are influenced by society and culture.

It reminds me a bit of the claim that "the incidence of dyslexia in school-age children is an alarming 10%". Alarming indeed. But if you define dyslexia as scoring in the bottom 10% of readers in a particular age group on a particular assessment, then the rate will of course be around 10%. That's how you've set it in the first place.

4. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A low response rate seems to be a real issue in research that tries to select a representative sample of the general population:

Woolie, FMMM1, Michelle and 2 others like this.
  5. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Maybe I am being dim but I am surprised by the absence of any reference in the abstract to the huge increase in percentage in the female 18-29 group. Does this mean they do not think it is reliable? And does that imply that none of it is reliable? Or what?

TrixieStix, alktipping, FMMM1 and 2 others like this.