1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Numbing on one side (face/body)

Discussion in 'Neurological/cognitive/vision' started by andypants, Jan 6, 2019.

1. andypants

andypants Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've seen this mentioned a lot on various fb groups so it seems like a common symptom, but it's also one of those things that could be so many other things than ME so when it showed up today I thought I would share it with you clever, thoughtful people.

The left side of my face and my left arm and hand are partially numb, meaning I still have feeling and no loss of motor function, but they feel like I slept on them (I didn't, I've been awake and propped up for a couple of hours).

My partner have inspected me and tells me I look a bit more tired on the left side of my face, but no obvious drooping. If I poke myself it feels slightly more numb on the left side than the right, but I feel it. Other than the numb feeling I feel ok, I'm recovering from a small crash but today I'm mostly just tired and brain foggy and some mild PEM. I have started having more headaches and cramped muscles, as I haven't been able to see my chiropractor for a long time, especially around the neck and jaw.

It's probably just a pinched nerve or something, but also one of those things that so easily gets filed under the ME symptom umbrella when maybe it shouldn't. I'm keeping an eye out for this from now on. I don't think it's worth a doctors visit yet, unless it comes back, doesn't go away, and/or a visit to my chiro doesn't help.

AliceLily, Mij, MSEsperanza and 7 others like this.
  2. dangermouse

dangermouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have been having similar episodes for a few years now. Lasting longer recently.

I have migraines. Left side of face and into left arm and hand - numbing.

I have left side pain in face, jaw, gums, teeth, neck, shoulder (currently very painful and feeling unstable).

Left side of my face often looks different to the right side, when I smile the left side of my mouth is lower than the right side.

Edit to add: Left eye often looks smaller than right during these episodes.

3. andypants

I get migraines, but haven't had one for a long time now. This episode seems unrelated to migraines, or so I'm hoping. Migraines usually affect my right side, so this is new.

So far I'm counting 1,5 hrs. I'm interested to see how long it lasts.

4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Pressure on a nerve seems the most obvious explanation to me, but I agree it's something to keep a watch on and see a doctor if it doesn't go away.

5. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have had one sided symptoms, on the left side I started to loose feeling etc I could see the limb but hardly feel it, for me it was ME and it can cause many bizarre neurological symptoms like twitching, limb contortion, loss of sensation, coldness of one side etc but always good to get new things checked out

6. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hello @andypants I would get it checked out if i were you. Not normal.

7. Trish

I agree it's not a normal ME symptom. If it's still there today, I'd get it checked.

8. andypants

It faded last night, but still here this morning. Less than yesterday. I do have some issues with the area between my shoulderblades around my spine, I'm thinking it could be because it hasn't been adjusted in a while + extra inflammation from PEM/holidays. On one hand I would like to see my chiro about it or a doctor, but still crashed and recovering in bed and venturing out is not at all tempting.

I'm thinking I will call my chiro and ask his opinion, he is very experienced and always makes sure you get checked out by a doctor if unsure. I will ask my mother to call one or two of her doctor friends as well. If I have to get it checked out soon I will, but if it can wait a few days that would be best.

ETA: Thanks for helping me with this. I'm very limited cognitively atm and find it hard to evaluate the situation properly. I get halfway there and then I loose my train of thought.

9. Milo

@andypants, not to alarm you too much but it could be blood clots, it could be stroke, it could be pinched nerve. When half your face is numb, you need to go get it checked. Phone your dr or a nurse line (if you have such a service) and ask what you should do if you are unsure. You may also ask for family or friend to be with you or phone for you.

Best wishes.

10. andypants

I will. Just apprehensive they will want me to come in just to be sure, so trying to ask professionals who will understand that going in is a problem for me unless absolutely necessary. Thanks :)

11. andypants

Turns out I have free medical video consultations through my insurance. The doc recommended I get it checked out at once, so now I'm waiting for my mother to take me to the ER. Better safe than sorry.

The consultation was through an app (KRY), and isn't that expensive even without the insurance, so that could be helpful for PwME. I'm sure there are equivalents in other countries.

dangermouse, Milo, Binkie4 and 5 others like this.
  12. Trish

13. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hoping your ER visit goes OK and nothing too untoward is found dear @andypants. Thinking of you and sending hugs. :hug::hug::hug:

14. inox

inox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hope it's "just" ME acting up, glad you're getting it checked out <3

It's one of the really hard things, to descide when it's best to rest, and what really needs checking.

15. andypants

Thanks, guys :hug: CT and blood tests were all normal, but they are keeping me overnight so they can be sure and so I can see a neurologist tomorrow morning.

It probably isn’t a stroke, but if it is no one wants to be the one that said it’s fine, go home! Being tested I also discovered that it is in fact my entire left side that is affected, which is apparently not normal at all under any circumstances.

It’s like someone rubbed my left half in a mild topical anesthetic, so it doesn’t affect my motor function or make me feel different on the inside, I just feel anything touching me slightly less on the left side. And a little bit tingly in some places.

Very very tired now, but have been given a single room and a decent bed and can finally go to sleep :)

16. Trish

Good to know they are being thorough. Sleep well. I hope they find out what it is. Or better still, it goes away.
    :hug::hug::hug::hug:

17. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hope you sleep well @andypants and that tomorrow is a better day.

18. Milo

So glad you have sought medical care for this. Best wishes @andypants I am thinking of you.

19. andypants

Just saw the neurologist who agrees that it is most likely ME related, as she has seen similar symptoms in other PwME. She has ordered an MRI for me to be sure, if it doesn’t show anything it will be definite proof that there’s no blood clot since the CT already turned out normal.

Because I had an MRI six months ago to check for MS that is already ruled out and there’s no need for a spinal puncture (thank goodness). The only thing that could potentially turn up would be a virus of some sort, but that would be a different set of tests again and most likely not useful anyway.

Hopefully they can fit me in today so I can go home. I haven’t slept much in the last two nights and have that weird thing going where sleep deprivation seems to alleviate ME symptoms a little, though being sleep deprived isn’t really fun either!

ETA: still numb, but less than in the beginning.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    Pyrrhus, Milo, ladycatlover and 4 others like this.
  20. dangermouse

dangermouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)