1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Physical therapy modalities for treating fibromyalgia, 2020, Araujo et al

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Andy, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

So these authors are happy to accept that FM causes actual pain but all the other symptoms are psychosomatic :confused:
    Open access, https://f1000research.com/articles/8-2030/v1

2. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well, there is progress. :rolleyes:

3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Weird how all of those maligned, stigmatized diseases that have all suffered from meagre low-effort unmotivated, often contrarian or even openly denying the seriousness and actual features, research efforts have not produced results. So surprising! When I pay two randos who promise to build me a house on the odd week-end for a few hundreds bucks I expect this house to meet the highest quality standards, have high power efficiency and all the modern amenities and roominess of a millionaire's mansion delivered by the end of the season.

The problem with research on most chronic diseases is that it's not cumulative, it doesn't build on itself, it's more like an endless series of false starts, disconnected from one another. Like building a house but laying stuff at random and with no one in charge. There's a piece of the basement in the lake down the street, electrical cabling has been stripped for parts and the copper sold while most of the roof sits in a storage room somewhere on another continent, maybe. Almost every piece of effort exists only for the purpose of existing, does not relate to a broader understanding and certainly does not add to it.

Seriously once a breakthrough occurs in any of those diseases it will be necessary to completely start from scratch, essentially wipe the slate clean, dismiss most of the past efforts delusional and counterproductive. This is like having found the best, more efficient way of failing and sticking to it. I don't get it, this process has almost no chance of producing anything of value.